• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Interelated problems

supersi

Jul 6, 2012
I have a number of problems which started after I rooted my S3.

1. I receive a notification that an Android update is available. I downloaded the update and hit 'install', after the S3 reboots I get an 'update failed' message.
I then download a temporary disable root app and try again. Same deal.
Fine; I can live without the Android update, but I can't get rid of the top-of-screen update notification symbol & I get a pop-up every 3 hours asking to install. How do I remove the symbol and update reminders. I guess I need to start with removing the downloaded update file, wherever it may be located?

3. Speaking of notifications...I can't remove the Samsung account symbol either. It's there because I foolishly decided to sync my contacts located over various social media accounts + email, Skype & my Samsung account. Needless to say my phone contacts are now a complete mess. So I turned off all account syncs, but I still can't get rid of the sync failed notification for my Samsung account.

4. I want to do a complete backup of my S3, a bit like what iTunes offers for iPhones. So I installed Kies on my Windows 7 (64 bit) pc. I plugged my S3 in to the PC via USB and I get the notification the device drivers won't install. Which is a pity because I can only do a complete backup via USB. So I went and tried installing the latest Samsung mobile drivers. No joy. still get same installation fail message.:mad::mad::mad:

Just go with a custom rom and stick with that for updates. Once rooted, sticking with what came on your phone is pointless. Custom roms are tweaked for better performance, durability and less annoying with update notifications.

Just remove the samsung account if you don't want it?... android settings > accounts > samsung account > your email address > remove account.

I only use the samsung account for Samsung dive (remote track and wipe)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. When do you hold down all the buttons to go into recovery mode? I tried holding tohem all in after restart but nothing seemed to happen.

Turn off the s3. Hold vol up and home whilst you press power to turn on. This will boot you into recovery.

Thanks. I'm a bit confused about the custom rom bit. I rooted my phone so I could apply a volume hack. Does that mean I've got a custom rom applied? If so, are there updates released for custom roms and how would I apply them?

No that means you have a rooted stock rom with a volume hack.

There are several stock-based custom roms on xda, for example the one in my signature. Your recovery has an option to flash zips. Custom roms come in flashable zips so you're good to go with that, although always take a backup in recovery first...

Custom roms are always updated when an official update or leak comes out. This means you can have updates weeks in advance of official updates. Again, you just download the updated version of the rom and flash it.

I recommend purchasing titanium backup too. Often you wont need to reset after a new rom, but sometimes you will so you can restore some stuff with this

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones