• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] OTA Update and how to retain root

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
As the title says...

Got my Note 3 successfully rooted here. Currently seems to be on build ND1, baseband NC1.

Noticed how Kies is mentioning that there is an OTA update, which I think ends with NG1.

By nature, I've also got it updated with TWRP recovery. I do recall that at least while I had this same recovery on my prior S 3, I had no problem with an OTA update... it was just Root that was borked.

So with that in mind, if it isn't Android Lollipop, what would be my best way to get this update and not like, ruin the phone? I did notice how Kies showed that it also updated the modem and stuff, so I figured it'd be better to ask here before doing anything to prematurely ruin it.

If you have any recovery other than the stock one you wont be able to get an OTA update. If your just rooted then you can get an OTA, but you'll lose root in the process. If you try you'll get told your device is modified and it is not available, I have never tried a Kies update, I would imagine a similar thing will happen.

The solution is to download the update from SamMobile, making certain it is for your CSC, and flash it using Odin using a PC. If it is the absolute correct update your phone will not be wiped and you'll not lose any data. You will lose your custom recovery and root. Just reroot and install your custom recovery again. Just remember you cannot go back and downgrade once you have upgraded, trying will, for sure, hard brick your phone. So delete any old Nandroids you made and make a new one the instant you've rerooted and installed a custom recovery.

Upvote 0
Yea, I'm trying that site as I type this... annoyingly, the serial number of my phone does show up, but not the country. It has my current baseband as N900UBUDNC1 on the phone itself, but I can't find anything that even matches the prefix portion on that site.

Perhaps an un-root is in order? In which case, it might be easier to simply flash the stock recovery back, do the update, and then re-flash TWRP and root.

Upvote 0
Yea, I'm trying that site as I type this... annoyingly, the serial number of my phone does show up, but not the country. It has my current baseband as N900UBUDNC1 on the phone itself, but I can't find anything that even matches the prefix portion on that site.

Perhaps an un-root is in order? In which case, it might be easier to simply flash the stock recovery back, do the update, and then re-flash TWRP and root.

You can't flash just a stock recovery, they just aren't available without the rest of the firmware. It would be a bit handy if they were. :)

This handy little app will give you all the info on your phone you'll need to find that new firmware anyway :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uyen.phoneinfo

Upvote 0
Curious.... So this is what I get from it, since it's far too big to get in a single set of screencaps...
Made in Vietnam
Original CSC is TTT, which suggests Trinidad and Tobago.
Hardware/Board is listed as universal5420.

All while it was in a box marked for "American SIM cards only" and sold at a best buy in Tempe. o_O I would have at least reasonably expected it to be with a CSC for Mexico, if anything. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones