• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Unroot - Help please

I'm currently trying to unroot my Galaxy S3 and I'm following this video tutorial: How to un-root & flash a stock ROM - Samsung Galaxy S III - GT-I9300 - By TotallydubbedHD - YouTube which is the one embedded into this page on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

I'm over 12 minutes into it the video. I installed Triangle Away, been into recovery mode to wipe data and cache, and I'm now onto the Odin stage, flashing the stock ROM.

However, it seems to be stuck on "Get PIT for mapping..", as shown below...

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9300XXDLJ1_I9300H3GDLJ1_I9300NEDLI1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..

How long is this meant to take? It's been on there for maybe 30 minutes already, I'm not sure what to do. It says don't unplug, but what if it stays like this? It's also getting late and I can't stay up all night waiting for it. Any suggestions?

Also, when I ran Triangle Away and went into download mode earlier, the "Custom" changed to "Official", the count went from 1 to 0 and all seemed alright. However, when I went into download mode again after opening Odin, it went back to being "Custom" and 1 count! I read that this is a problem with 4.1.2, and I'm *attempting* to flash 4.1.1, so if it actually works, should I root it and go through the process again, and that time it should go down to 0 count and also keep "Official" rather than "Custom"?

This is the guide I followed and it worked a treat.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1710613

Make sure you have everything to hand before you start. It's important to download the correct ROM for your country & Carrier from Sammobile or you could brick your device.
Make sure you run triangle away before unrooting! and that your binary is back to zero.

The process in Odin took about 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link, that looks like exactly what I did but it's good to see it as a text guide as well.

I had downloaded the correct ROM, I think the trouble I had was that Kies was running in the background (from startup). I nervously disconnected the cable and the phone was luckily fine. Rebooted phone and PC, ended Kies in task manager and redid the process.

Mostly it seemed to work (with a few nightmares along the way!). I mentioned in my OP that the counter went back to 1 and saying Custom. Well, further into the process Custom changed back to Official, however the counter is still 1.

Do I now need to follow step 16 in that guide you posted? Re-root, use Triangle Away again, flash stock ROM again, factory reset and then I guess update to latest firmware with Kies?

Why would it be showing as Official but still show 1 in the counter?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Currently at work so will have to wait until tonight.

But... I'm pretty sure I did that as one of the last steps last night anyway. After flashing the stock ROM it stuck on the Samsung logo on boot. There was an annotation on the youtube video saying this is a common problem and that booting into recovery to do a reset and wipe cache would fix it.

Edit: So should I then follow step 16 tonight?

Had no idea that tar files were called tarballs, learn something new every day! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks again, another question though for clarification...

Is step 16 repeating everything again? It says re-root, run Triangle Away, flash stock ROM, but am I also meant to do any of the factory wipe, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache again too, or does it miss this bit out for some reason?

What do I do if the counter keeps on returning to 1?

Also, I should point out that I was actually always running stock, but that link says if it's 1 then it means you're running non-stock :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones