• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Updating WanamLite from MR2 (v5.8)

andy9l

Sep 22, 2012
UK
Hi,

Looking to update my WanamLite ROM from a fairly old version (5.8). Thing is, this particular version used the MR2 base, which seemed to cause problems for people updating to 5.9.

Do I need to do a full wipe to update to the latest WanamLite (6.8) - base ME2?

If so, how do I go about restoring my apps - really not up for manually handling carrying out that process!

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'd post on XDA but I don't have the required number of posts to do so, nor the incentive to spam for post count.

Andy

Surely a full wipe (data, cache and dalvik) would be ok? Best to be save than sorry :thumb:

Restoring apps is easy, get titanium backup pro and back up all USER apps. Once youve flashed the new ROM, download titanium from the play store (and probably the pro user key) and just restore all user apps. The back up and restore are done in a batch procedure (as long as you go to the batch section :p) so you dont have to do anything!

It will keep your data and launcher settings although widgets will need to be put back in their place :)

Upvote 0
Pretty sure Wanan said at the time that full wipe was necessary when going from MR2 to new base. This was a while ago so think you'd definitely have to do full wipe to jump to latest version.

No hardship doing batch restore in TB for your apps though - but you need pro key for that. You can do each one manually with free version if you have the time and can be bothered, paying price of a beer or two to avoid that alone was worth it for me :)

Upvote 0
Surely a full wipe (data, cache and dalvik) would be ok? Best to be save than sorry :thumb:

Restoring apps is easy, get titanium backup pro and back up all USER apps. Once youve flashed the new ROM, download titanium from the play store (and probably the pro user key) and just restore all user apps. The back up and restore are done in a batch procedure (as long as you go to the batch section :p) so you dont have to do anything!

It will keep your data and launcher settings although widgets will need to be put back in their place :)

Yeah I'm in no way disputing the fact that it's always best to do a full wipe - I'm just being lazy...and coming from iOS only a year ago, I'm a fan of the easy life!

Thanks for the info about TB Pro. I've got the free one that I've used to get around the default keyboard bug several times - more than happy to get Pro to make future ROM updates faster! I'll remember to just backup/restore user apps.

Pretty sure Wanan said at the time that full wipe was necessary when going from MR2 to new base. This was a while ago so think you'd definitely have to do full wipe to jump to latest version.

No hardship doing batch restore in TB for your apps though - but you need pro key for that. You can do each one manually with free version if you have the time and can be bothered, paying price of a beer or two to avoid that alone was worth it for me :)

I think you're right saltire. I seem to remember him saying MR2 required a full wipe for any future updates - it's the reason I'm so far behind now!

I don't mind buying a key, looks like it'll be worth it in the long(ish) run (probably moving to the iPhone 5S *hides!*). Think there's a sticky guide here on how to keep other settings / messages etc.. It's a shame it takes a good couple of hours to update a ROM...and it's tedious work!

Yeah its defo worth buying pro :thumbup:

Looks like it!

Upvote 0
I've found I can back up my mobile data, sms and call logs with TiBu without it causing any problems aswell :)

It used to take me ages to set it up but I can flash and have things set up within 20 minutes, the longest part is resetting all my widgets.

You can also make a flashable zip in TiBu which takes longer to backup but is far far faster to restore. Did it last time and it was spot on!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones