• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Int'l version] OTA update

Is their any links to stock firmwares :( I'm on O2 branded phone and might take the plunge

sammobile.com has them. It took about an hour to download the firmware as it used hotfile.com which deliberately throttles speeds for non-payers (can't say I blame them!)

After that it was completely painless, had the new firmware on within ten minutes, didn't delete anything (I did a backup of the internal memory first just in case). Haven't found any problems yet.

Another change I haven't seen mentioned is that the Samsung ChatON messaging service is included by default.

All of my widgets and home screens stayed the same, and as far as the device is concerned my phone is still official, so should be fine for warranty purposes.

Just read a guide before you flash, because if you do the wrong thing in ODIN you can brick your phone (usually fixable but takes time and effort).

Edit:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610 - this thread has all you need.

Upvote 0
Just installed Kies

Phone branded t-mobile in uk son,it's be gunning their firmware

Had an updated firmware released, but it is not the new one. Phone now reads

Baseband version I9300BVLF2
Build Number IMM76D.I9300BVALF2

How have others on t-mobile got te new firmware?

They've probably flashed the unbranded version using ODIN.

Upvote 0
Hi,
One thing I have found today is that Android File Transfer on my Mac no longer seems to work. When I connect it keeps telling me no device detected.
Any ideas anyone please?
Cheers, Rich

Hi,
Anyone got any ideas on this. AFT was working fine. Now won't see my phone. I can't seem to find any settings that may have affected it. Have also re-installed AFT. Thanks ;)
Cheers, Rich

Upvote 0
Just installed Kies

Phone branded t-mobile in uk son,it's be gunning their firmware

Had an updated firmware released, but it is not the new one. Phone now reads

Baseband version I9300BVLF2
Build Number IMM76D.I9300BVALF2

How have others on t-mobile got te new firmware?

Got mine OTA but tmobile, NOT branded (uk)

Upvote 0
Hi All,
i just registered here to say thank you all for your feedback, been lurking :D, and thought to share with you what i've noticed as 'new' in this latest firmware ...

here's a list of changes i've noticed after upgrading today (non-branded Int'l S3)
- in the camera, there's a magic wand with a total of 11 FX (many are similar to the ones existing in the stock photo editing software)

- when recording a video, you can now apply above FX as you record!

- once you start recording, the icon for the video recording shows a 'stop' overlay, which helps as it was confusing earlier (it was a static red round button irrespective recording or not)

- i've noticed that the camera applications exits automatically if left idle (~1 minute idle time)

- camera shortcut from lock screen seems to open faster

- camera voice action icon changes, now shows as a mic

- click and hold the power button to show 3 different sound modes (mute, vibrate and normal), you can switch between those by clicking the volume button or simply click on one which will then close this screen

- a new AllShare Cast widget

- as some of users reported, my video thumbnails no longer animate, they are all static (weirdly though, except for the video sample that came with phone!)

**just noticed a 'bubbles' live wallpaper, not sure if this is new, i never noticed it before :D

Upvote 0
Hi All,
i just registered here to say thank you all for your feedback, been lurking :D, and thought to share with you what i've noticed as 'new' in this latest firmware ...

here's a list of changes i've noticed after upgrading today (non-branded Int'l S3)
- in the camera, there's a magic wand with a total of 11 FX (many are similar to the ones existing in the stock photo editing software)

- when recording a video, you can now apply above FX as you record!

- once you start recording, the icon for the video recording shows a 'stop' overlay, which helps as it was confusing earlier (it was a static red round button irrespective recording or not)

- i've noticed that the camera applications exits automatically if left idle (~1 minute idle time)

- camera shortcut from lock screen seems to open faster

- camera voice action icon changes, now shows as a mic

- click and hold the power button to show 3 different sound modes (mute, vibrate and normal), you can switch between those by clicking the volume button or simply click on one which will then close this screen

- a new AllShare Cast widget

- as some of users reported, my video thumbnails no longer animate, they are all static (weirdly though, except for the video sample that came with phone!)

**just noticed a 'bubbles' live wallpaper, not sure if this is new, i never noticed it before :D

+ these:

1. The icon for no notifications has changed.
2. Samsung ChatON service is installed.
3. There's an allshare cast options menu under settings > wireless & networks > more > allshare cast.

Upvote 0
As for bug fixes, there's quite a few for me:

Smart stay is improved. The eye icon stays in the notification bar longer so I think it has a more thorough check to see if you're looking at the screen.

Less wakelocks, so battery is vastly improved. At least it appears so.. if my battery dies at 19% or something I'll be annoyed :D

Home screen refresh happens much less frequently.

I can switch between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on my router without having to turn WiFi off and on again.

Pretty awesome update!

Upvote 0
How do I know if 'wakelocks' are causing me an issue?

Go into Android OS/Android System (most common culprits) and check the "stay awake" stats for those. If they're high, you have wakelock issues.

My Android OS used to stay "stay awake" was 4 hours+ before the update after a day's usage, now it's like 12 minutes.

After that you can download better battery stats to see which wakelocks are causing problems.

Reactions: blenky
Upvote 0
Go into Android OS/Android System (most common culprits) and check the "stay awake" stats for those. If they're high, you have wakelock issues.

My Android OS used to stay "stay awake" was 4 hours+ before the update after a day's usage, now it's like 12 minutes.

After that you can download better battery stats to see which wakelocks are causing problems.

Cheers. My Android OS stay awake is 1m 51s and my Android System stay awake is 20 secs - so that all looks OK!

Upvote 0
ok. updated earlier using kies. im tmobile uk. so far, no problems. videos in the video app are moving as they were before update. waiting for phone to fully charge to test the 100% but mine did go to 99% as soon as you unplugged the charger. my android os is showing 55m 20s and android system is 14m 36s. not sure if these are that high and dont know when they might start to come down. always had samsung chat on.

baseband - I9300xxlfb
build no - imm76d.I9300xxblfb

will post later about 100% when unplugged and wakelocks

ric

stays at 100% when unplugged

Upvote 0
as mentioned earlier - I was the first to report my video previews had stopped moving. Well i took all of my videos out of their respective folders and then re-added them - most of my videos still weren't playing but there were about 3 or 4 that were - bit weird - but I've just checked again now and all my videos are previewing again like normal and I've not done anything since - maybe it just takes a while for the phone to cache the previews or something?

Upvote 0
It may be trivial to most but an improvement when typing is the cursor not automatically adding a space after you select a word from the predictive text suggestions.

Also if you are continuing the sentence after selecting a suggested word (as opposed to inserting a full stop) you don't need to add the space manually when you type the next word.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones