• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Introduction, got questions about Solavei?

runtmms

Jan 5, 2013
Denver
Hello,

I wanted to let you know a little about myself, why I went with Solavei, and how it's working out.

My husband and I ordered Nexus 4's in early December. They are our first android phones. We had put off the whole smartphone thing because of how expensive data plans were. I'd never even considered a prepaid plan until a friend of ours suggested it. Until that time, I had no idea how much of a premium contract plans charged.

I started looking at the prepaid options. I had already picked out the Nexus 4 so that meant GSM carriers. I started by looking at Straight Talk - I wasn't happy with the reports about random data throttling. I also felt like information was intentionally difficult to find on their website. This was especially true when compared to T-Mobile site. I really appreciated the clearly defined plans and easy to view coverage map.

I was set to go with T-Mobile when I first found out about Solavei. My knee-jerk reaction was it wasn't for me. I'm not terribly social, and I'm not a salesman. After mulling it over I realized that didn't matter. Even if I never signed anyone up it was a better deal than going directly with T-Mobile. It's on the same network, and I always had the chance of getting some sign-ups.

I signed up at the end of December - before I had my phone in hand. My SIM card arrived quickly. I activated January 5th. Activation was simple and I've been enjoying service for 11 days. Nothing to complain about.

How about the compensation? I won't lie, at this point the only person I've signed up is my husband. I have one friend who is interested if they can confirm good coverage. Most people are either locked in contracts, or very resistant to the idea of changing carriers. Some people want to wait and see how it goes with me for a while. I personally find that strange because I see it as very low risk. If you aren't happy then change carriers at the end of your month.

It doesn't help that I'm in a heavy Sprint and Verizon area. Everyone I've talked to has a CDMA phone. I have to believe it would be easier to sign people up if I knew people on GSM carriers to start with. Seems like it could be huge on a college campus.

I'm happy to try to answer any questions you have. I'm just an individual who happens to be a customer. I'm also happy to let you know how I feel about Solavei as time passes. If anyone wants my referral link please contact me via pm.

Would I like to get sign ups? Sure... Am I happy with the plan and service without? Yes...

-M

I thought I'd post a six month update in case anyone was interested. My husband and I are still both using Solavei. It works for us. We both use Google Voice for voicemail - I'd be unhappy without conditional call forwarding.

Through occasional posts, and randomly talking with people, I've actually signed up 10 people - one has discontinued service. That's 3 trios which pays for one of our phone lines - plus a little. I honestly never expected to have that many people pick me as their sponsor.

After using the service, here are some of the things I'd consider pitfalls...

1. APNs to get MMS working are screwy. Mine works fine. I've helped a few people with the same phone get set up - it's taken different settings in some cases to get them working. There are clearly a lot of little variables that impact what APN settings need to be used for MMS.

2. Solavei is a little too focused on bringing in people who are going to sign up others. I know they want to grow their brand. But I think there are a lot of people who just want phone service, and they don't realize the referral program is completely optional and free to participate in.

2a. There are some really pushy salesman types trying hard to sell Solavei. I guess there's no way to avoid that, but it makes me cringe when I see it.

There have also been some surprising positives I didn't expect. I actually really like having/being a sponsor. There is a real person I picked as my sponsor. I've been in contact with him a couple of times and he's been helpful and responsive. The people who have used me as a sponsor have been a surprisingly friendly group. A couple of them have contacted me with questions/problems and I've done my best to help them out. Along the way I've learned a lot about my phone, and the service.

The bottom line is I'm very happy with my service, and can't beat the net price. I'm so glad we didn't struggle with trying to make the $30 T-Mobile plan work.

Upvote 0
I would like to hear more about their service, like how are your data speeds, what is your total cost to the service including all taxes. Have you traveled outside your home area and how was the service then. Did you get a areas where connection was bad, and last but not least, how is their customer service to date ??

I opened a thread here and I am looking to change my wife's service, so you can post in there for others to benefit from my questions in there.

Looking for Carrier feedback for the wife to switch to !!

Reactions: TheDigital_S
Upvote 0
There is a real person I picked as my sponsor. I've been in contact with him a couple of times and he's been helpful and responsive. The people who have used me as a sponsor have been a surprisingly friendly group. A couple of them have contacted me with questions/problems and I've done my best to help them out.

So when you sponsor people you basically provide support to them in exchange for getting a reduction in your bill (after signing up at least 3 people)?

Upvote 0
So when you sponsor people you basically provide support to them in exchange for getting a reduction in your bill (after signing up at least 3 people)?

I think "provide support" is an overstatement. I think Solavei is really trying to use us as advertising - as I understand it they don't pay for any advertising aside from what they pay members in trio pay. What level of support you get from your sponsor depends entirely on your sponsor. If they are informed, then they might be able to answer questions or help troubleshoot if so inclined. There is no obligation to provide any sort of support to people who have signed up under you. But since you get trio pay there is an incentive to help out if possible. I've tried to be helpful the couple of times I've been contacted. I've also contacted my sponsor once or twice and he was very responsive which was nice. I didn't think I'd like the sponsor/member relationship at all, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's another member who has a reason to help.

If you actually have problems with your account there is Solavei customer service in the form of phone calls, live chat, and online forums. I've only posted questions in the forums and I've always gotten prompt responses from Solavei.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones