• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 4: AT&T isn't the only thing stopping people from making calls

It has just been released that at&t is releasing a portable micro cell to fix this problem. You can buy a backpack in the shape of an apple logo to hold it in, or wheel it around on the patented apple towing cart (called the "iCart"), a revolutionary new device that will tote the micro cell around on two patented rubber wheels with aluminum alloy rims that also improve signal strength. It also includes a 300 foot extension chord for extreme maneuverability and ease of use.

I read this from another blog I thought it was funny.http://androidforums.com/#

Upvote 0
I originally thought it was probably just people being a bit OTT given that if you wrap a Nexus One up in both your hands it drops down two bars at least but you don't have to hold the iPhone4 in a weird way to get it to fall off the network;

YouTube - iPhone 4 Signal / Antenna Issue When Holding Phone

A bit of a cock-up there. My N1 drops one bar max if I hold it that way.

Makes the N1 3G issues a few people have reported (no problems for me) look fairly tame, particularly for left-handed users.

Later update: Actually much worse than I thought;

http://bit.ly/b9XvcP

This chap's holding the phone lightly, like I hold my N1, and it falls totally off the network.

Upvote 0
Haha, according to Mac Rumors the Nexus One and other phones suffer from the same issue!!

Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About

My N1 drops one bar when I pick it up, and I can only get it to drop more if I place one hand behind the phone and the other over the front, covering the phone completely, then peek between my fingers, then it drops to one bar surprise surprise. Just the same as the iPhone4 falling off the net if you just pick it up normally ;)

Upvote 0
So iphone 4 is having typical reception issues. Apple tells them to hold the phone a different way. Now im not really an android fanboy but have been an apple hater since they screwed up my music collection when i got my original ipod with their horrible software.... but this is just icing on the cake... http://tinyurl.com/3ymjup8

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I hate Apple probably more than the next guy but isn't this the same thing as HTC's response to the Nexus One 3G problems?

The difference is, if one android OEM screws up (and I have no love for HTC for many other reasons), there are several others that can take its place. But if you are totally invested with iphone and they screw up there's nowhere to turn.

The other thing is that Apple made a big deal about how wonderful this new antenna is and instead we find that it is the source of a major usability problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones