• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO-DROID

Jun 7, 2010
I didn't initially care about it, but I will say this thing has impressed me so far. Just messing around with my Oakley's (polarized) and I tried to unlock my phone via the iris scanner, unlocked in no time.

Initially I wasn't going to upgrade, so far I am glad I did. I come from a note 5 and the only reason I was able to upgrade is because I am moving my wife over to verizon from sprint. I didn't know what to expect from the curved edges, the original note edge I didn't really care for. This one is just subtle enough.

I wear bifocals and I couldn't get the iris scanner to work unless I took my glasses off. Speaking of glasses, I have a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses that have been problematic with some other phones, but I can see the Note 7's screen perfectly in both orientations while wearing the sunglasses.

The Note 7 screen is AMOLED, I suspect the other phones were LCD, which uses a polarizer. AMOLED does not. With LCD and polarized sunglasses, depending on the orientation, it can black the screen completely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The iris scanner works good for me, but I probably still won't use it. I never lock my phone (probably a mistake), but had it locked up until I went to bed last night. It was easier to use my fingerprint to unlock than move the phone so it could see my eyes. But when I did the iris scanner worked great most of the time. But the fingerprint scanner was basically immediate and if I lock I will use that 99% of the time. Good to have other options that work though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones