• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is a tablet really "useful" or is it just a novelty?

ispamforfood

Jul 2, 2010
I'm actually curious what people think... I have to say, this tablet is in my price range, and looks pretty good... But my question is, other than for entertainment, what real use is there for a tablet? Do you all think it can be helpful in real world situations? Or is it just a big phone (in that it can do pretty much the same things, but it's just bigger)? Am I really MISSING anything by NOT having one (other than the size limitations of a phone)??

I'd say a useful novelty.

Nothing you can't do on a PC, but MOBILE. I use Gas Buddy to save me $1-$2 per week. Answer business email when not at home or work. Find yourself if you get lost (physical or mental). Lots of useful apps! (Unit Converter, Calculator to name a couple). Lots of fun Games (useful for killing time). A 7" screen is much easier on the eyes than a 3" phone screen!

But... if I had it to do again, I would buy the Nexus 4, put it on the T-mobile $30 unlimited plan, and see if it's screen was adequate for my old eyes. I think it would be much more useful. I still might.

Upvote 0
I agree with the above... its not necessary, but it is very useful.

I never touch my laptop anymore. I carry this thing EVERYWHERE, and have all my books, music, and movies right there.

I'm a convert. I will probably never buy another actual computer again... a tablet and a phone is all I need... next go round, I may try to combine with one of those Phablet thingies.

Upvote 0
I find mine really useful. I text from my N7 instead of the phone. I manage my bank accounts with Mint. I play Pandora all day at work. I use it as my ereader (I have a Kindle, but prefer my N7 these days). I email from it, and do most of my web surfing from it. When DH is watching a ballgame I'm not interested in, I use TV Portal, or Amazon to watch other things.

We have a desktop and a laptop in the house, but I hardly use either these days.

Upvote 0
Mine has ended up more of a novelty that I am almost ready to sell. Last week the battery charge lasted for 10 days with the tablet left powered on, that's how little I used it.

Someone mentioned eBooks above. If I could motivate myself to start reading more, my N7 would definitely fill that need. No way am I gonna read a book on my phone, nor do I want to sit at my desktop for hours on end. So I just need to make some effort to read more often and the Nexus 7 won't collect so much dust.

Other than that, it's nice to play a few games on the bigger screen and watch YouTube videos, but I have really been struggling to find a use for it. I think if I had one of these newer phones coming out like the Note 2 or DNA with the larger screens, I would get rid of my tablet completely. But I am stuck with my Bionic for now.

Upvote 0
For me I think it's useful. Like others have stated, I rarely touch my laptop anymore be a useful it is much easier to use my 7 which is always on and sitting next to me. And also ever since I got my news 7 I have been reading more news articles and blogs and stuff like reddit which are too slow and annoying to read on my phone.

Upvote 0
IMO, owning a tab can be extremely useful, especially if it's from the Asus transformer line with the dock. It still doesn't beat a high powered laptop, but you get what you pay for. The use of a remote desktop client like splashtop to connect to a high powered desktop reduces the need for a laptop, hence why I don't touch mine anymore.

Upvote 0
For me, it's a fun novelty. I rarely carry my N7 with me when I leave the house since I have my phone (Droid Razr) in my pocket. I mostly use the N7 around the house to do quick lookups of something while watching TV or to play games.

If I need to do anything that requires typing (such as forum posting) I prefer to sit at one of my computers (desktop, laptop or netbook) and use a full size keyboard.

Upvote 0
The portability is the big factor for me.

I do a lot of reading/research on my tablet for school. I love being able to pull up articles in my school's library database on the tablet instead of a full blown laptop. It is much more comfortable to sit and read with on the couch, deck, coffee, shop, etc...

In addition to being a student, I'm also a Linux sysadmin. I'm on call pretty much 24/7. The tablet keeps me from having to lug my laptop around with me everywhere I go in case my monitoring systems send me alerts. I can fire up my SSH client on my tablet (I use Better Terminal Emulator Pro) and log into my servers from anywhere in the event of some sort of emergency. I also do work email on my tablet when I'm not sitting at my desk.

For non-work and school tasks, I use it a lot for social media and web browsing while sitting on the couch. It beats the heck out of sitting there with a hot laptop on my lap!

As my son gets a little older, we'll use it for interactive storybooks and toddler games too.

I actually have decided to go back to an old school flip-phone for my cell service and use a 3G tablet as my "smart" device. I used to have a Galaxy Nexus and a tablet. Going back to a "dumb phone" has allowed me to unplug more effectively when I want to but still stay connected the way I need to for work. I save money that way too.

-SF

Upvote 0
For me personally I see it as a novelty. Before I got it I did everything (Facebook, streaming music, web browsing) on my phone.
There is a laptop in the house I just don't like using it.
The tablet just makes all these things easier. Instead of playing games on my phone (4.3 in) I have a bigger (7in) screen to do it.
It all comes down to what you use your laptop or phone for and if another device is just gonna collect dust of be used.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones