• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Froyo the last biggie?

xda and the devs are gonna give users the most up to date ports they can on devices they have. Since the Eris came out in November of 2009, and 3.0 is due out in three months most people will still have a whole year left on contract. If you've been keeping up with the many android sites out there, 2.2 was ported to the G1 not to long ago(with features missing) which proves that devices can run OSs not designed for them with sacrifice.
So 3.0 on the Eris? I have a feeling it can and will be done

Upvote 0
3.0 will be out in the next two months. Earlier for N1 owners since it's a dev phone.

3.0 has strict specifications. It basically weeds out most of the antiquated and bottom-tier Android phones. They may port 3.0 for the "lesser" devices, but like someone mentioned, a good bit of the features may be taken out as they will require the screen size and processor requirements, which I can't remember what they are exactly off the top of my head.

So you may see it, or you may not. They may take the code and thoroughly revise it so it fits the G1, at least. But with my experience with 3.0, the specs are in place for a reason.

Upvote 0
3.0 has strict specifications. It basically weeds out most of the antiquated and bottom-tier Android phones. They may port 3.0 for the "lesser" devices, but like someone mentioned, a good bit of the features may be taken out as they will require the screen size and processor requirements, which I can't remember what they are exactly off the top of my head.

They aren't requirements, but instead minimum recommended configs, but it is 1 GHz CPU and 512 MB RAM. (Also 3.4" display, I believe.)

Upvote 0
I know I will be disappointed with 3.0 on my eris, but I am sure the dev's can update the setup with a custom rom. 1 GHz is a little to much for OC'ing the little guy. I love the phone, small enough shape and smooth profile style, and will just have to see what comes up within the next few months. If only the nexus 1 worked on verizon, maybe the nexus 2 will.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones