• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it possible to backup the ROM on unrooted phone?

I know.
I can provide you with a nandroid of my system and you can unpack and look for yourself. No busybox. I do however have a folder on my sdcard named res that has a sub folder containing two busybox files; busybox_a and busybox_b. maybe created by yaffsexpert. I have no idea what program put them there.

EDIT:
Ok i unrooted my phone by removing all the files from phone superuser.apk.. su.. unrevoked-forever.zip etc. For some reason I had 3 copies of Superuser.apk in two different locations in system. Guess I play around too much. Also had su in two locations on phone. Also deleted all the busybox files installed from market app.

I factory reset my phone

installed visionary+
I now after temp root have busybox installed in xbin folder.
reboot phone and all gone accept superuser.apk.

I think this will work to a mild extent. I'm sure the remount command will not work without s-off so that is the only roadblock.
how have you installed busybox to xbin?
you realise you can only do system/xbin installs because you have s-off right?

Upvote 0
how have you installed busybox to xbin?
you realise you can only do system/xbin installs because you have s-off right?

that is where the files were. it was just temporary when I tried to access the files directly i.e. copy it did nothing but I could execute the command in terminal.

as for the rest of what you guys are talking about I haven't any way to try that. My phone is CDMA not GSM. If they function the same in that respect I could try but don't believe so as for time being my s-off is perminant and I cannot get s-on.

even with s-off I haven't been able to flash anything via fastboot. It returns remote not allowed.
I've been toying around with the misc partition trying to get the correct information in so I could get ota to apply as the ro.cid is the only error I keep getting. HBOOT won't find misc.img or NV.img and fastboot wont permit remote.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones