• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it time to root?

Frogbone

Jun 7, 2010
Minnesota
Last few days I have been having lots of app hangups. Gmail constantly hangs and now Maps is doing it as well.

This all started after I couldn't send and receive SMS messages and Sprint Tech support did something "on their end" to get it to work again.

Anyways, I keep having to do the "battery pull" restart in order to get things going again for a day or so and I am getting tired of it.

Before I load a custom ROM I just want to have root to be able to clean Dalvik cache and to fix permissions. Maybe that will correct my problems. If that doesn't do it I will go to a custom ROM.

What is the easiest and preferred method of rooting ? Will I lose any data ? If so, what do I need to backup before I root?

Lastly, I am travelling and I only have my company's laptop with me. It's pretty well locked down, not letting me install any software or run unapproved executables. Will that cause a problem while rooting ?

Reactions: dustwun77
I have Hboot 1.15

I did at one point accept the OTA about a month ago

What I meant by root and eventual ROM is that before I go and flash something different I would like to just get root and a custom recovery where I can wipe dalvik cache and fix permissions. What I want to see is if that fixes some of my app problems I have been having.

Unless there is another way of wiping dalvik without root ?

If all else fails I would try a custom ROM.

On another note, I glanced over a few of the ROM's and there was mention of Radios. Are theses RAdios different than the stock radio?

Upvote 0
I have Hboot 1.15

I did at one point accept the OTA about a month ago

What I meant by root and eventual ROM is that before I go and flash something different I would like to just get root and a custom recovery where I can wipe dalvik cache and fix permissions. What I want to see is if that fixes some of my app problems I have been having.

Unless there is another way of wiping dalvik without root ?

If all else fails I would try a custom ROM.

On another note, I glanced over a few of the ROM's and there was mention of Radios. Are theses RAdios different than the stock radio?

If you have hboot 1.15, then you have a rom revision 1.22 (you can see that under settings, About phone) - and you already have the latest radios (radios tend to match the kernel that comes with a rom version generation).

So, no need for radio concern.

If you want to do a backup of your apps and data, get the zedomax root first, then use Titanium Backup (most popular) or MyBackup Root (also very good) to save things to your sd card.

After that - or if you don't care about backups and want to skip that - use Regaw's one-click method.

That will root, goto HTCdev.com anonymously and unlock your bootloader so it can then install the TWRP custom recovery.

Use TWRP to fix permissions and clean cache and Dalvik cache (you need to be rooted to do the last part, no question).

Get to TWRP by booting into bootloader (we have a sticky guide on that), then go into recovery.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
If you have hboot 1.15, then you have a rom revision 1.22 (you can see that under settings, About phone) - and you already have the latest radios (radios tend to match the kernel that comes with a rom version generation).

So, no need for radio concern.

If you want to do a backup of your apps and data, get the zedomax root first, then use Titanium Backup (most popular) or MyBackup Root (also very good) to save things to your sd card.

After that - or if you don't care about backups and want to skip that - use Regaw's one-click method.

That will root, goto HTCdev.com anonymously and unlock your bootloader so it can then install the TWRP custom recovery.

Use TWRP to fix permissions and clean cache and Dalvik cache (you need to be rooted to do the last part, no question).

Get to TWRP by booting into bootloader (we have a sticky guide on that), then go into recovery.

Hope this helps!

I can't seem to find the zedomax root. I found a thread over on xda but in there is said that the root method does not work with 1.22.651.3 which I have :(
Did I look at the wrong thread?

Upvote 0
he has 1.22.651.3
from the op in that link:
UPDATE: This root method will ONLY work on software version 1.22.651.1 and older, if you have 1.22.651.3, please be patient devs are working on it!!!

so you might have to just unlock the bootloader via HTCdev and install the TWRP recovery.

edit:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/597083-ota-update-root-possible-yet.html

Reactions: Frogbone
Upvote 0
Ok, I pulled the breakes on the idea of rooting for now.

Had some more issues today with phone call being all garbled up and then phone rebooting on it's own. Lots of goofy stuff happening.

Called Best Buy to see if I can get yet my 3rd phone. Guy told me they will send it in and I will get a refurb. I didn't like that idea.
He suggested that I do a factory reset first before doing the repair.

So I did the FR and just got done setting everything up again. I don't care, even with backing up most stuff it is still a pain in the a.. :-/

Anyways, I will let this ride for a week or so and then I will re-evaluate.

I just didn't want to root only to have to unroot again if I have to turn this thing in.

Thing of note, after I did the FR, about 12 voicemails came in from the last week which I have never seen. There really must have been something wrong with my phone !

Also, saw a post from Early Mon recommending always to do a factory reset even prior to a OTA. Makes sense to me. I didn't do that when I got my OTA..

Anyways, thanks for you guys' help. I might resurrect this thread when the time is right.
Hopefully by then there will be a solution for the hboot 1.15

I like the one click stuff. I don't want to deal with ADB FFF and what not...

I like easy...

Upvote 0
FrogBone, There have been alot of issues with Sprint network as of late it seems. There have been a lot of complaints about not having a connection or VM's.

I lost all data after doing a PRL update awhile back. I had to update profile and PRL while on WiFi to fix my problem. The sprint rep wanted to send me a Refurb when she couldn't figure it out. I fixed it myself.

The next update that is expected soon may clear this stuff up.

Naters

Upvote 0
FrogBone, There have been alot of issues with Sprint network as of late it seems. There have been a lot of complaints about not having a connection or VM's.

I lost all data after doing a PRL update awhile back. I had to update profile and PRL while on WiFi to fix my problem. The sprint rep wanted to send me a Refurb when she couldn't figure it out. I fixed it myself.

The next update that is expected soon may clear this stuff up.

Naters

Thanks Naters, that's good to know ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones