• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is it worth changing over to android from iOS???

metalhawj

Lurker
Sep 26, 2011
I have contemplated whether or not i should switch over to an android phone but i havent found a good enough reason to and wanted to get some answers from hardcore android users.

first of all, I like to do whatever i can to my devices to try and get the most out of them so i've jailbroken my Iphone4 like crazy. Ive been looking at alot of forum threads and youtube videos of people trying to make android seem so much better but seriously, i havent found/seen any features/hacks/apps that are much different or better than the iphone. (after rooting and jailbreaking)

im not trying to ask why android is better than iOS. just wondering, what kinds of features does android have that would appeal more to a hardcore user like myself.

Reactions: pawdog
From a functionality standpoint, they are pretty equal. From a choice standpoint, you've just about any form factor you can imagine with Android handsets.

I disagree. There are quite a few things we can accomplish with an Android handset versus iOS. Some of them may be trivial, or maybe not, it all depends on user preference.

First thing off the top of my head is flash.. it really does come in handy. Especially on my Asus transformer. Using my Evo 4G, I can mirror the screens output with HDMI and this includes playing netflix straight to my TV from my handset.. a portable Netflix player if you will, which has come in handy a FEW times at friends houses.

Another thing that may seem trivial but I love is the 100% customization and widgets. I have all my handsets themed and Rom'd with one thing or another. The theme engine built into CyanogenMod is VERY powerful, and changes the entire look of your handset with a few keypresses.

Another huge benefit for Android is we have access to the complete file system.. just like a computer. This allows apps like Cheetah sync, which automatically keeps my media, files, and NAND backups sync'd with my home network over wifi while I sleep.

If you live in the Google-verse Android has TONS of benefits. True push gmail sync (even with Google apps accounts!), Google voice sync, Calender, everything Google offers can be sync'd to your device.

My Google Chrome bookmarks are sync'd with my tablets browser, so if I'm out and about browsing the web on my tablet, I can book mark it and fire it up in Google Chrome with just a click of the bookmark link.

The biggest benefit of Android is choice. I can choose any browser. I can sideload apps without jailbreaking. I can choose which media player fits me best. I can choose what kind of launcher to use, even many that are inspired by iOS.

To be better put, there is nothing iOS can do that Android can't do (outside of direct ties with Apple products, of course), but there is plenty Android has to offer than iOS can't touch.

Regards, and hopefully welcome aboard.

-IOWA

Edit: Another benefit

Since all contacts are sync'd to the cloud automatically (which you can disable if you like) to your Google account, you can edit your contacts in Gmail (or Thunderbird if you have it set up properly) and it will instantly sync to all of your devices. This includes adding and removing contacts, adding contact photo's, birthdays, phone numbers, addresses, everything in the contact card.

Reactions: amsid and substring
Upvote 0
I don't know ANYTHING about ios. One thing to me seems to be the form factor. Droids comenin every shape and size... there's only one style iphone. Second I've heard the ios apps are mostly pay apps. Second, I've heard that ios is not very customizable. I can get apps from third party developers. I don't like iphones cuz the phones are all the same, I have the infuse 4G. I NEED THE 4.5" SCREEN. Some droid users need front facing cams and removable batterys, and physical keyboards. I love the fact that google is intertwined with the OS but I'm not forced to use it.

Upvote 0
answered this many times before...

android is about choice.. freedom to choose what ever hardware or software configuration you like... no matter what the other fellow has or likes his to be.

you like IOS.. after your research and see no reason to change..
then i dont think you should change.

question.. why do you think you need to change?

Upvote 0
answered this many times before...

android is about choice.. freedom to choose what ever hardware or software configuration you like... no matter what the other fellow has or likes his to be.

you like IOS.. after your research and see no reason to change..
then i dont think you should change.

question.. why do you think you need to change?

i do like iOS. alot. but its gotten to the point where ive done all that i can with it and theres nothing left to really do with it. it just acts as a phone now. not a hobby.

thats why i was tryin to see if i should switch to android, to basically hack it and learn about it. but from previous answers, theres not much more to offer.

we will see after iphone 5 comes out

Upvote 0
I have used tons of Android phones. I've owned a G1, Moto Cliq, Droid, Droid 2, Droid Pro, G2, G2X, MyTouch 4G, myTouch 3G, Samsung Vibrant, MyTouch Slide, HTC Hero, Evo 4g, Epic 4G, and the Droid X. I think that's it, and yes, I know I have a problem, lol. And no I'm not rich, I just resell the phone and then apply it towards the next one I want. I've also owned a first gen iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4. I consider myself a power user, and I always seem to switch back and fourth. Here's my opinion on this: Android is about choice, flexibility, and raw power. iOS is about a smooth user experience, nice hardware, and abundance of support from both devs and third party manufacturers.

I love both platforms for different reasons. I still have yet to find an Android phone that is as smooth as an iPhone, and I've used the duel core superphones. That doesn't mean they're bad phones, after all I still use Android and don't even own an iPhone at the moment. They offer great choice in user experience. You can load custom roms and have a device that looks almost however you want it to. Apps can integrate with one another and that offers a much more seamless experience in certain circumstances. There is a ton of choice in hardware. You want a very affordable phone and don't need much power? Cool, there's a phone for that. You want a mid range device that's cute and has a spot for a cell phone charm? There's a phone for that. Need a physical keyboard? Boom. Phone for that. Want the highest end device on the block (for the week at least?) Phone for that. Want a small screen. Yep. Phone for that. Want a big @$$ screen? Phone for that! I think you probably get my drift here. No matter who you are, you can probably find something that appeals to you. I have found that the Android versions of apps for some reason just never look as good as the iOS versions. This is of course a generalization as there are a ton of fantastic apps out there for Android.

As far as the iPhone goes, it's all about simplicity. One new phone a year (except typically the previous gen is released at a cheaper price point with 8GB of storage). You know the UI is gonna be smooth, and there's not a whole lot you can screw up. Even if you do, typically a restore is just a plug into iTunes away. There are tons of apps available, and usually the big name apps are available on iOS first. I'm sure some of this has to do with the fact that there are a lot less variables on an iPhone. As I stated above, it seems to me that iOS versions of apps tend to look better. Things are more out in the open as there isn't a hardware menu key. Less submenus can be less confusing for a lot of users. I tend to like the hardware better on iPhones too. I love the new Galaxy S II phones, but I just can't stand that cheap plastic feel they have. Give me the steel and glass iPhone 4 design any day.

In the end I think both are great choices. It all comes down to you. If you are happy with iOS and can't find a good reason to switch, don't. You don't have to switch. Contrary to what many may tell you not all iPhone users are Steve Jobs worshiping sheep that would buy a block of wood if the apple logo was on it. Don't feel bad if it's what you like. If you ever want to try out the Android fold, go for it. I think you'll be surprised at how nice things can be. It may take a little work to get it how you want it, (I spent hours creating images that I could use with Desktop Visualizer, but I have a badass home screen now) but in the end it can be worth it.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
i do like iOS. alot. but its gotten to the point where ive done all that i can with it and theres nothing left to really do with it. it just acts as a phone now. not a hobby.

thats why i was tryin to see if i should switch to android, to basically hack it and learn about it. but from previous answers, theres not much more to offer.

Compared to Android mods like CyanogenMod and MIUI, iOS mods are like kindergarden mods.

Upvote 0
Lol, iphone doesn't suppory flash¿ lmfao

Are you really laughing that hard over that? I can honestly understand why they don't support it, and I think this new thing Adobe is doing which handles the horsepower on a server end is a good idea. I still haven't seen flash really work that well on a mobile device. HP Touchpad, Android, etc. It's not completely terrible but it can't be denied that it's a resource hog. I turn off automatically loading flash on my phone then I just load what I want and or need, but it's not all that often that I want and or need it.

Upvote 0

if you have reached the limit of what you can do with a jailbroken iphone and still desire more control... and want something to really OPEN and let you dig even deeper... and want a new hobby...

then that is a good reason to jump on android... rooted android phone can keep you busy for a very long time... ROOT is a step beyond Jailbreak.

NOTE: although most android phones have a MOD development community, but not all are equal. some are more active and have more depth than others. So you better research which phone will meet this need of yours better!
Example: HTC EVO 3D is looking to be one of the more active root community (similar to EVO 4G).

The flash compatibility issue is definitely worth switching to Android.. But I wonder if the iPhone 5 will begin to support flash content?

Are you really laughing that hard over that? I can honestly understand why they don't support it, and I think this new thing Adobe is doing which handles the horsepower on a server end is a good idea. I still haven't seen flash really work that well on a mobile device. HP Touchpad, Android, etc. It's not completely terrible but it can't be denied that it's a resource hog. I turn off automatically loading flash on my phone then I just load what I want and or need, but it's not all that often that I want and or need it.

but again .. android gives you the choice...
the choice to use flash or not use flash..
can IOS give you that choice?
I feel that I want that right to make that choice.

Upvote 0
but again .. android gives you the choice...
the choice to use flash or not use flash..
can IOS give you that choice?
I feel that I want that right to make that choice.

I totally understand and support that. As I said, I still use an Android phone because I like choices. The problem is the "general consumer" doesn't think, "Oh at least I have the choice." They think "God why is this site taking so long?! Why doesn't this site work right?! Why is my battery dying!? Stupid ______ (insert brand here)."

I know this from experience with said consumers. I could tell them to quit being stupid and learn how to use their phone properly, but they probably wouldn't. So like I said I still understand why Apple has done what they've done. In doing so they're forcing other companies to make their technology better, because even though flash is widely used and can do a ton of great things, it needs to get better. It's horrible on battery life and a huge resource hog.

Upvote 0

Hmm I dunno.

I think if you Jailbreak like I have done you might be able to install Flash. But I dunno 120% though.

But it seems there is Flash support now for the iPhone:

Adobe brings Flash support to iOS with Flash Media Server 4.5 | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Looks good

One thing I totally despise about iPhone is you have to freakin have an Apple Mac PC to install the iOS SDK...

What the hell.

Seriously what the frack.

But Apple do make good products and they are fast like my iPhone 3gs.

I just don't really like being FORCED to buy an Apple Mac just to download the Official damn iOS 4.X SDK.

That is just insane IMO.

I don't like that controll madness

Any who just my 2 cents.

But I do prefer Android and I hear Boot 2 Gecko is comming about by the Mozilla Corporation and will be Open Source:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G

And Bada OS by Samsung looks like it is going to be open Sourced too by the Korean Company:

Samsung bada tipped open-source in 2012 for phones and smart TV - SlashGear

Just my 2 cents though and I could be mad :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones