• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is my phone rooted?

Craziness

Mar 9, 2011
I bought my phone off craigslist and just wondering if someone can tell me if its rooted. I have a superuser app, I downloaded wireless tether and when I was going to run it a message from the bottom of the screen came up and asked if my phone was rooted and wouldn't run. When I bought the phone it didn't have a memory card. Thanks to anyone that can answer. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Android Verison

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.17-gee557fd
htc-kernel@and18-2#3

Build number
3.70.651.1 Cl294884 release-keys

Software number

Brower version
WebKit 3.1

Pri Version
1.90-00_3

Prl Version

Sounds like it might not be. Only way to be sure is re root again.

Thanks I'm still new and never rooted, I see there is a lot of info on here and the guy I bought the phone from never said about it being rooted. I been reading around here and read about the superuser app being on rooted phones, I guess I need to read around more to figure out how to use it.

Upvote 0
Thanks I'm still new and never rooted, I see there is a lot of info on here and the guy I bought the phone from never said about it being rooted. I been reading around here and read about the superuser app being on rooted phones, I guess I need to read around more to figure out how to use it.

Yea it sounds like you're not. I would just try rooting it over again if you want root.

Upvote 0
I bought my phone off craigslist and just wondering if someone can tell me if its rooted. I have a superuser app, I downloaded wireless tether and when I was going to run it a message from the bottom of the screen came up and asked if my phone was rooted and wouldn't run. When I bought the phone it didn't have a memory card. Thanks to anyone that can answer. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Android Verison

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.17-gee557fd
htc-kernel@and18-2#3

Build number
3.70.651.1 Cl294884 release-keys

Software number

Brower version
WebKit 3.1

Pri Version
1.90-00_3

Prl Version

The only ways to know for sure are:

1. If you have a "superuser" icon in your appdrawer

2. Download terminal emulator, type "su" (w/o quotes), after asking for root permissions you should see a "#" (you're rooted if you see this), not "$" (you're not if you see this)

3. Reboot your phone to hboot (power phone off, then back on while holding volume down), you'll something like this (btw, this is the BEST method for finding out if you're rooted):

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.97.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Aug 19 2010, 14:29:08

Make sure it says "S-OFF". If you have "S-OFF", then you've unlocked nand access and have full root. Some root methods have been known to perform a "soft root" (still has "S-ON"), which still allows you to download root only apps. I know this isn't the case for you but you never know who'll end up reading this thread and benefit from that piece of information.

You had mentioned you didn't have an sd card when you purchased your Evo. Do you have one now?

I suggest you attempt to root your phone again using Unrevoked's one click method.

I'm sure you've already read this sticky, but hey, you never know :D. A refresher never hurt anyone: "ROOTING For Dummies + Extras"

As for Wifi-Tethering not working. Maybe permissions were denied when it was first opened up. When you click on the superuser icon, does it give you an app list?

Reactions: Craziness
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones