• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the camera really that bad? Trying to decide between BB Storm and This Phone

pittguy578

Nov 6, 2009
Just wondering "how bad" the camera is compared to other phones, most notably the BB Storm 2. I was an early Eris adopter, but took it back due to the very poor battery life. I have my Dare turned back on. It will suffice until I decide on a new phone.

I am just trying to decide between the 2. I heard the Moto Droid gets better battery life. The thing that is scaring me is the camera-I heard it really is bad compared to other phones in terms of quality. My GF BB Storm 1 actually takes some pretty good pics-sometimes can't tell if they are from her actual camera or BB.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Jim

The camera had severe focusing issues initially due to a strange date bug. Now the camera is in a cycle of good focus and an update will arrive on December 11th to fix it permanently. In other words it should continue to focus normally from here on. I have been very impressed with the video from my Droid and the photos look really good on its screen, admittedly I haven't viewed them on a PC monitor yet. Several reports I have read praised the photo quality since the focusing started to work properly.

Upvote 0
my only issue is the flash is to bright sometimes. trying to take pictures of my dog and her eyes always glow so bright. didn't have this issue with my samsung rogue but it only had 1 led
2009-11-25120046.jpg

Upvote 0
If the camera and battery is your only concern, then the Storm takes the prize. If you're looking into functionality, speed, looks, and performance of the phone, the Droid will take the prize.

Yes, the Droid has a poor camera (But it's not that bad). Battery depends on how much you use it, like every other phone out there. In my opinion, those that want a fun and fast phone, the Droid is the way to go. If you need Exchange then say no more, go for the Storm. If you take the time to compare the pros and cons of both, I'm sure you'll make the right decision. As for me, when I was choosing between the Storm2 and Droid, I didn't even have a second thought about the Storm2 once I held a Droid and played with it.

You need a camera, battery and BES? Go with Storm.
You need everything else? Droid does. Sort of...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If the camera and battery is your only concern, then the Storm takes the prize. If you're looking into functionality, speed, looks, and performance of the phone, the Droid will take the prize.

Yes, the Droid has a poor camera (But it's not that bad). Battery depends on how much you use it, like every other phone out there. In my opinion, those that want a fun and fast phone, the Droid is the way to go. If you need Exchange then say no more, go for the Storm. If you take the time to compare the pros and cons of both, I'm sure you'll make the right decision. As for me, when I was choosing between the Storm2 and Droid, I didn't even have a second thought about the Storm2 once I held a Droid and played with it.

You need a camera, battery and BES? Go with Storm.
You need everything else? Droid does. Sort of...

Agreed. Just a couple of months before buying the DROID, I picked up this little gem:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS25 Review

So the camera in my DROID is not going to get a lot of use for taking pictures.

It will get a lot more use for bar codes, QR Codes, M$ Tags (whenever that functionality is finally available to us) and the like.

Upvote 0
I too have heard that the update really fixes the camera's issues. I already have managed to snap some really nice outdoor pictures with it since the focus is not an issue far away. The Droid's outdoor pics are MUCH better than those the Storm produced.

There is graininess in lower light situations, but with a tiny high-res. sensor, this is to be expected. The Storm's pics, no matter what OS(4.7, 5.0, Hybrid) suffered from this also. The flash is also much better on the Droid.

Unless you are an all-business power user, get the Droid and hold out for the Dec. 11th update. Coming from a Storm myself, and getting some hands-on experience with the Storm 2, I can really say that the Droid bashes the Storm/S2 to pieces. Waiting on a properly functioning camera is a small price to pay for all the awesome things that the Droid does(Pun intended).

Just my $.02:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones