• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is the Highmem problem fixed in the 2.2 OTA Kernel?

dabomb224

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
In previous discussions on the Droid X and its RAM, it was mentioned that due to a "Highmem" problem, the phone was not capable of utilizing its full 512 MBs of RAM. This was found to be a problem in both 2.1 and the 2.2 leak. Through these discussions, it was mentioned that "On any kernels before .33 you only have access to 256MB ram. This includes the 2.2 froyo leak even though froyo is supposed to be .33"
(http://androidforums.com/droid-x-support-troubleshooting/173020-how-much-ram-do-you-have.html).

If the OTA is only a .32 kernel, does this mean that we still don't have access to all 512 MB of RAM?

I actually thought this was fixed on the latest leak. I just downloaded sys info and got 477MB for RAM memory.

However, I never have free memory for some reason even after a fresh restart It always shows about 50-60MB free. I don't actually care about the free memory, but I do care about how much memory I have access to. Is the sys info number just a lie, and I can only access 256MB with the leaks?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones