• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a benefit to updating HBOOT?

exclamation_mark

Android Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2010
I have been struggling to find an answer to this question. Is there a benefit to updating/upgrading the HBOOT? Radios? What?

I have HW002, HBOOT .97 Everything seems to be working fine (I like the motto if it aint broke dont fix it) I did calkulins all in one radio update, didnt seem to have any issues...

So is there a reason to look into updating HBOOT?:thinking:

It's a good idea to update the radios if you're going to update to the sw version they came with (3.70 in this case). People have varying degrees of success upgrading radios without flashing a rom with the latest sw version. Generally speaking, you probably don't want to flash a rom with the latest sw version, but not flash the radios, etc.

That being said, there is never a good reason to flash the latest hboot. Ever. You will be creating more problems for yourself by doing so. Especially in this case, you won't be able to downgrade your hboot, and you'd need a different recovery image. Trust me, leave hboot alone.

Upvote 0
It's a good idea to update the radios if you're going to update to the sw version they came with (3.70 in this case). People have varying degrees of success upgrading radios without flashing a rom with the latest sw version. Generally speaking, you probably don't want to flash a rom with the latest sw version, but not flash the radios, etc.

That being said, there is never a good reason to flash the latest hboot. Ever. You will be creating more problems for yourself by doing so. Especially in this case, you won't be able to downgrade your hboot, and you'd need a different recovery image. Trust me, leave hboot alone.

Awesome answer, perfectly understandable and clear-cut. I didnt have any issues upgrading radios, and for most ROMs i flash i don't have any issues at all, the ROM that spawned this question is an HD port which, I'm afraid, is still littered with little problems here and there. Thanks for the answer. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones