• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a definitive way to prevent OTA updates?

jasonl99

Lurker
Nov 17, 2010
This is my first post on this board - and I wanted to express a great deal of thanks to everyone for the wealth of information avaiable. I recently rooted my EVO and installed Myn's 2.2 ROM which I am extremely happy with. There is NO CHANCE I would have done this without all the great info here.

I have looked for this information and am a bit overwhelmed - this is the first phone I've rooted, so I am proceeding extremely carefully with all the things I do with it.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer how to prevent OTA updates entirely. I'm not even sure I have to worry about it since I have a new ROM installed.

1) Does installing a ROM like Myn's automatically prevent OTA updates from being applied and notifications given?
2) If not, will renaming otacerts.zip work permanently at preventing updates and notifications (which I can do with Root Explorer)
3) I have Titanium Backup, is there update-related app I can freeze to prevent updates?

The last thing I want to have happen is to wake up some morning and suddenly my phone is unrooted with a new version of Sprint's ROM. I am perfectly happy waiting for custom ROMs to come out with feature changes (for example, Gingerbread). If I never see an OTA update prompt again, and I can be sure it won't apply itself without my intervention, I'll be happy as a clam.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones