• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a QUICKER way to access recent apps?

KillerQ97

Oct 17, 2010
Hey all,

I know that you can hold the home button down and wait for the list of recently used apps to come up - but for some reason, the second or so that it takes for the long press drives me crazy!

Is there a way to make a screen icon that will take you to your recent apps? I would rather not install a whole new launcher to get this option - so are there any lightweight ones that do just that?

Thanks,

Matt!

There are a number of ways to do this. Some of the more fancy option are:

Itching Thumb (Task Manager) - Android app on AppBrain
Visual Task Switcher Free - Android app on AppBrain
QuickDesk BETA - Android app on AppBrain (much more than just a task switcher)

Keep in mind that those work by double tapping on the home key, which is much faster, but you may or may not notice some lag throughout the system.

You can also try something like this:

Smart Taskbar (sidebar) - Android app on AppBrain

It might be a lot more complicated than what you're looking for, but I think it has a task switcher. I also found this, but it required a search long press, which won't save you any time:

MultiTask Manager - Android app on AppBrain

I swear I found a widget that would display recently opened apps, once, but I can't find it anymore.

Reactions: KillerQ97
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones