• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a virtual machine that will run on android?

knoober

Android Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
Google brings back alot of hits for running android on a desktop machine, but I am trying to run a desktop machine on android -- the easiest way possible. I havent had alot of luck installing Ubuntu (even though there are numerous tutorials ) but am looking at maybe porting Ubuntu Touch for one of my devices. Even so, if there is a working virtual machine that will run a desktop environment, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance

Well there's Android versions of Bochs, that can run Windows 95. If you're looking to emulate current desktop PC x86 hardware on an ARM processor phone or tablet, no chance. Running Android on a desktop machine, is usually because it's been specifically built for it, e.g. Android-x86.

There are actually Intel Atom x86 mobile processors though, with good performance and battery life, which are designed run desktop PC OSs and software on mobile devices like tablets. No virtual machine or emulation needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Google has remote desktop app. I can control my PC from my Android, if that's what you are looking for.

Thanks for that but Im actually trying to do what mikedt was talking about. :)

Well there's Android versions of Bochs, that can run Windows 95. If you're looking to emulate current desktop PC x86 hardware on an ARM processor phone, no chance.

Well the end goal is to use an old (but current-ish quadcore) device as a rasberry pi stand-in for streaming music (which I can already set up, if maybe not as efficiently as some guys). I just had my heart set on using a desktop distro for this, no reason other than sadistic joy I guess.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Try it in Bochs for Android.
https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/?q=bochs-2.6.8.apk
That is a PC virtual machine and x86 emulator for Android. If your desktop Linux distro OS is not too demanding and the phone is sufficiently powerful enough it might work.

It would be much more efficient if the Linux distro was compiled specifically for ARM and supporting the phone's hardware directly, rather than x86 PC hardware. Of course Raspberry Pi is ARM.

Reactions: knoober
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones