• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there an alternative to one click root?

tca8888

Aug 26, 2011
I've heard the different ways people have gotten then KMS 4/...existence.bat to crack the phone but I've been at this for 2 days and the won't root.

Sd card removed
rebugging mode
minimal applications
program start on samsung logo

At this point I'm looking for an alternative or something I've overlooked. The Odin Multi Downloader seems like a possibility but I don't fully understand it. I see someone posted what seems to be a rooted firmware(pardon my terminology I'm a first time andriod user as of 2 days ago, but I jailbroke my iphone so I wanted to get into some trouble with this one) but I'm afraid of loosing my boost mobile account information i just set up with them. Is there a way to back up MY firmware with odin before implementing a new one through a recovery program?

I feel like I'm over complicating this but I can't believe how much this phone has beaten me, haha.

baseband ver s:m820.07 xEE.14
kernal ver 2.6.32.9

I've heard the different ways people have gotten then KMS 4/...existence.bat to crack the phone but I've been at this for 2 days and the won't root.

Sd card removed
rebugging mode
minimal applications
program start on samsung logo

At this point I'm looking for an alternative or something I've overlooked. The Odin Multi Downloader seems like a possibility but I don't fully understand it. I see someone posted what seems to be a rooted firmware(pardon my terminology I'm a first time andriod user as of 2 days ago, but I jailbroke my iphone so I wanted to get into some trouble with this one) but I'm afraid of loosing my boost mobile account information i just set up with them. Is there a way to back up MY firmware with odin before implementing a new one through a recovery program?

I feel like I'm over complicating this but I can't believe how much this phone has beaten me, haha.

baseband ver s:m820.07 xEE.14
kernal ver 2.6.32.9
use odin per the instructions provided and use his rooted version, you will have root when it is done, you can use the EE14 or ED13 but remember if you use ED13 and you get the ota update it will be unrooted again.

Reactions: tca8888
Upvote 0
yes you can use odin to root :)

So will my boost mobile activationnnn, connection, accout settings, be lost with the an odin recovery root slate?I'd like to backup my unrooted phone first... but you can't do that without a root, right? X/

I got the phone at radioshack and an employee activated it, so I dunno what the proces entales. I did get a print out with account activation information (msl,ptn & msid #).

Thanks guys

Upvote 0
So will my boost mobile activationnnn, connection, accout settings, be lost with the an odin recovery root slate?I'd like to backup my unrooted phone first... but you can't do that without a root, right? X/

I got the phone at radioshack and an employee activated it, so I dunno what the proces entales. I did get a print out with account activation information (msl,ptn & msid #).

Thanks guys
odin wont touch the programing menu partitions. you wont lose any of that.
you can odin just cwm recovery and then back up your stock phone. but its just as easy to get the root at the same time.

Upvote 0
So I've gott odin set up ready to roll and I have one final question. Do i need to include the boot image in odin. I read on the odin thread:

"You need to select the phone.tar if you want to flash your baseband verion. You should not have to flash the BOOT.tar, unless you phone is really messed up"

So I chose the files for the OPS, Phone, and PDA fields. Do I need to include the boot image? Is there a reason I would not want to?

I'll be really effing excited to get this thing rooted, I've been working on it for days now, I feel inept lol.

Upvote 0
So I've gott odin set up ready to roll and I have one final question. Do i need to include the boot image in odin. I read on the odin thread:

"You need to select the phone.tar if you want to flash your baseband verion. You should not have to flash the BOOT.tar, unless you phone is really messed up"

So I chose the files for the OPS, Phone, and PDA fields. Do I need to include the boot image? Is there a reason I would not want to?

I'll be really effing excited to get this thing rooted, I've been working on it for days now, I feel inept lol.
for a first time I would do all 3. whether its truely needed though I am unsure.

Upvote 0
Download Titanium Backup and you can remove the bloatware with that. Its an all around useful tool to have on your phone.
do i need Titanium Backup installed on phone before or after rooting. I have one click root files DL. KMS,Samsung Drivers, EE14 recovery(just in case)and ShabbyMod 0.9
anything you guys see that I'm missing. and should I get Mod manager?

plan on trying to root on Sunday

Upvote 0
is there a step by step how to on rooting the samsung prevail with odin?not a vid but directions verbatim on here sum wheres been trying to root this phone & its damn confusing.kms didnt wrk 4 me either & im doin something wrong with odin i keep getn back to stock smh

Need to use stick.zip if your on ee14. after you odin and it starts to load hold power and vol up until u r in cwm then flash stick.zip

Reactions: chriskeepit100
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones