• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this possible on a Rezound?

CBRBob

Lurker
Dec 27, 2011
Is it possible to connect a SD card reader to the usb port and have it work? I know there are adapters etc to physically do it, but can you add and access the memory?

Is there a way to hook a cable for video (and audio) out? I had a HTC TouchPro2 and had a cable for that. I am aware of the HDMI cable adapter, but wonder if there is a 3rca cable out there?

Thanks and if this has been covered, sorry!(new here and to android)

Is it possible to connect a SD card reader to the usb port and have it work? I know there are adapters etc to physically do it, but can you add and access the memory?

Is there a way to hook a cable for video (and audio) out? I had a HTC TouchPro2 and had a cable for that. I am aware of the HDMI cable adapter, but wonder if there is a 3rca cable out there?

Thanks and if this has been covered, sorry!(new here and to android)

Great question. What you're talking about is USB On-The-Go. A phone needs both applicable hardware and a kernel driver installed to support it, and I believe storage devices (flash drives etc) need firmware support beyond what's needed for input devices such as keyboards.

My recollection is that a stock Rezound can't successfully connect to a USB storage device, but someone else here or at XDA could give you more definitive info.

Upvote 0
I found these links which might be of help. I thought I read somewhere that there might need to be a hardware component, but that should only apply to powered USB ports - a bit lacking in hardware knowledge, but I believe most thumb drives don't need a powered USB port. That may be your Acer's separate port - could be powered USB.

USB Host and Accessory | Android Developers
Item of interest: "USB accessory mode is also backported to Android 2.3.4..." so this might allow, with an adapter, to connect USB devices to the system.

USB Host | Android Developers
Item of interest: "USB host mode is supported in Android 3.1 and higher."
This article also has notes at the bottom it was updated for Android 4.0r1 on Dec 21st.

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones