1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is this possible on a Rezound?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CBRBob, Dec 27, 2011.

1. CBRBob

CBRBob Lurker

Is it possible to connect a SD card reader to the usb port and have it work? I know there are adapters etc to physically do it, but can you add and access the memory?

Is there a way to hook a cable for video (and audio) out? I had a HTC TouchPro2 and had a cable for that. I am aware of the HDMI cable adapter, but wonder if there is a 3rca cable out there?

Thanks and if this has been covered, sorry!(new here and to android)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

Great question. What you're talking about is USB On-The-Go. A phone needs both applicable hardware and a kernel driver installed to support it, and I believe storage devices (flash drives etc) need firmware support beyond what's needed for input devices such as keyboards.

My recollection is that a stock Rezound can't successfully connect to a USB storage device, but someone else here or at XDA could give you more definitive info.

3. Lomallin

Lomallin Member

I believe support for that was in 3.0+ versions of Android...so we will get it with ICS without fail. I am not aware of other workarounds, cables, or apps.

4. kierandill

kierandill Newbie

I wouldn't count on ICS giving us that. My Acer tablet with Honeycomb has host mode USB -A port, but it an entirely separate port than the one you use to connect to a PC.

5. Lomallin

Lomallin Member

I found these links which might be of help. I thought I read somewhere that there might need to be a hardware component, but that should only apply to powered USB ports - a bit lacking in hardware knowledge, but I believe most thumb drives don't need a powered USB port. That may be your Acer's separate port - could be powered USB.

USB Host and Accessory | Android Developers
    Item of interest: "USB accessory mode is also backported to Android 2.3.4..." so this might allow, with an adapter, to connect USB devices to the system.

USB Host | Android Developers
    Item of interest: "USB host mode is supported in Android 3.1 and higher."
    This article also has notes at the bottom it was updated for Android 4.0r1 on Dec 21st.

BlueBiker likes this.
  6. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

As you may've heard, we got official boot unlocking from HTC today. So if the Rezound hardware supports it, one can assume we'll soon have ROMs/kernels available from aftermarket devs that will complete the picture.

HTC Rezound Forum

The HTC Rezound release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1620mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews