• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Jelly bean 4.2.2

Moved this thread over to the root section. Anyways if you guys that have not received the update yet and have root and custom recovery why not just flash it manually?
But to preserve root please use ota root keeper free from the market all u do is press a button and thats all!

OTA RootKeeper

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...keeper&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Finally 4.2.2 This is only for the wifi version of the nexus 7

http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip

Upvote 0
4.1.2 to 4.2.2 - is it worth it? Hi Forum friends.
I live in New Delhi, India & got my N7 from the US in Jan.
It came with 4.1.2; very soon it d/l the 4.2.1 OTA update & till now I've fobbed off the nagging reminders to install it, seeing all the issues that came with the update.
This morning when I turned the N7 on, I got the notification that the 4.2.2 update had been d/l & was prompted to install it.
My N7 is as it came - stock, unrooted.
I am an old guy with no ambition to modify my N7; I just want to use it for what gives me pleasure- read/watch/acquire knowledge/communicate etc.
The only mod, if you can call it that, has been to d/l the NMI & watch movies off a pen drive, w/o going thru the bother of loading/deleting stuff via the USB cable; while on the subject, can anyone enlighten me why MX player won't read the srt file off the OTG/pendrive when it can do so when I transfer the folder containing the movie+ the srt file onto the tab via the usb cable? TIA
Qns - Am I better off with 4.1.2 or will 4.2.2 bring improvements w/o bestowing problems like 4.2.1 did - or is it too early to tell?
Another thing- I noticed in a thread post that the 4.2.2 update is abt 47.6 mb in size but the update notice that I recd was around 98 mb- some error here or is the update for the 4.2.1 + 4.2.2?
And lastly, does the NMI/OTG facility continue to work with this latest update?
TIA & A Very Good Day to all.

Upvote 0
I have yet to see the "problems" you speak of with 4.2.1, but that's perhaps a matter of usage patterns. I liked it.

I just updated to 4.2.2 and it does seem a little smoother, maybe imagination though. If I were you I'd apply the update... but of course I'm not you :)
Oh I read about people who had 'upgraded' to 4.2.1 facing issues such as Bluetooth stuttering, very low battery life & slow charging, random boots, problems with fluctuating brightness levels, very laggy performance etc, which made me hold off from updating to 4.2.1.- hence my query.

Upvote 0
I don't use audio over BT so it didn't effect me, but I know there was a real issue - now fixed in the latest update.

As for the rest I've never seen them. No reboots, good battery life, only very rare lags and the fluctuating brightness (on auto, I assume you mean) is a feature of every device I've ever owned, no better or worse on the Nexus 7 than any other.

I did have one power consumption issue that turned out to be an obscure incompatibility between my router and the Nexus 7 wifi power saving occasionally causing the play store to run up huge CPU usage (fixed in configuration) and eating the battery. But I don't know if it was specifically a 4.2.1 issue, I didn't have enough time on any earlier version to tell. Time will tell if 4.2.2 still does it, but either way it isn't a problem now that I know about it.

Only you can decide, all I can do is pass on my positive experience of months of 4.2.1 and a few hours of 4.2.2 :)

Reactions: Kamal Hans
Upvote 0
Moved this thread over to the root section. Anyways if you guys that have not received the update yet and have root and custom recovery why not just flash it manually?
But to preserve root please use ota root keeper free from the market all u do is press a button and thats all!

OTA RootKeeper

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...keeper&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Finally 4.2.2 This is only for the wifi version of the nexus 7

http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip

Stupid question time as I'm still a bit of a noob with nexus 7 flashing etc it's a fair bit different to my s2 which uses cwm.....any who,

Would I just boot into recovery and flash as standard?

I've already gone into ota root keeper and clicked the button, do I do anything else before flashing? What do I do after flashing?

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
Stupid question time as I'm still a bit of a noob with nexus 7 flashing etc it's a fair bit different to my s2 which uses cwm.....any who,

Would I just boot into recovery and flash as standard?

I've already gone into ota root keeper and clicked the button, do I do anything else before flashing? What do I do after flashing?

Thanks in advance :)

yes you are correct just boot into cwm and flash that zip keep in mind once you flash you will lose root and cwm recovery but since u installed the ota root keeper once you boot back to your device after updating open ota root keeper and press restore root and you should have root once again. now in terms of getting cwm back i dont use cwm i and many others use twrp which is just as good but with a few more features that you wont find on cwm. which u can easily get by downloading goo manager then selecting flash rom on goo manager and it will notify you that u must have custom recovery and ask you want it to find one for you click yes and it will download the latest twrp recovery and install it for you without any reboots :D

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
Ok, one more question.
If I upgrade to 4.2.2( I've got the OTA tho I'm yet to install it) from 4.1.2( where I presently am, I did not install the 4.2.1 update), will I lose the ability to play movies off a pen drive using the Nexus Media Importer/OTG Cable solution?

I use the same app. It worked fine in 4.2.1 and still works fine in 4.2.2 :)

Reactions: Kamal Hans
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones