• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Join the Phandroid Folding@home Team! - 56k Warning

Nice. What CPU model is this? Sounds like you could be a major contributor. :cool:

The AMD Phenom II X6, beast of a processor for only $170. I prefer it over the Intel hexa core because of the Cool N' Quiet feature, that way it only uses however many cores I need and doesn't burn itself out in no time flat.
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

Probably going to hold off a few days, with Black Ops coming out tomorrow (midnight for me) I'm going to be playing that religiously for a few days. :p

Upvote 0
I might run the GPU client in addition but for now I'm just using the SMP client.

The GPU clients out-perform the SMP client by a country mile on my X4 965.

For Nvidia cards I recommend the GPU3 (v6.32) beta, with the switch added to force recognition as a Fermi device if required. This works even with my old 8800GT to ensure it only processes the new WUs which (a) are more reliable and (b) offer slightly more points.

Upvote 0
I just joined the team. I've known about folding for a while. Used to have my 9800GT working on it but the wife got that machine in the divorce. Lol. Now it's my little 3 year old laptop pecking away at the work units. Better than not helping at all I guess. great forum. You guys have helped my Android to be everything it can be. Rock on.

Upvote 0
Im joining! System Specs are Intel Core i7 @ 3.07 GHZ, unfortunately the ATi client cannot utilize my 2x ati 5770's OC at 910 MHZ. but hopefully i will be able to at least help some :p

*Edit* i downloaded the multi core SMP version of the client and i am now using all of my 4 cores + 4 threads for folding@home!

*EDIT* i now have my gpu client up and running!

Upvote 0
Am a little worried about over heating though (even without doing this).

My 5850 (Sapphire VaporX) is sitting at 58C right now while folding, and that's with a PCI soundcard partially-obstructing its fan intake.

I don't run a CPU client; my X4 965 barely made 400ppd using the SMP client which imo wasn't worth the additional stress/heat.

Upvote 0
My 5850 (Sapphire VaporX) is sitting at 58C right now while folding, and that's with a PCI soundcard partially-obstructing its fan intake.

I don't run a CPU client; my X4 965 barely made 400ppd using the SMP client which imo wasn't worth the additional stress/heat.

58c is kinda high ain't it? How long does it sustain that? And my upstairs computer is a x4 965 as well, you saying it was pointless to do it on that?

I've been subscribed to this thread since like June or something so i don't forget about it and am still wondering what the negatives might be

Upvote 0
58c is kinda high ain't it? How long does it sustain that?

It's only ~16C above the idle temp, and it will do that 24/7 if I let it. I've seen 63C after an extended gaming session so it's not anything unusual. Heck, my old 8800GT sits at 82C (on a bench!) as it is folding constantly.

And my upstairs computer is a x4 965 as well, you saying it was pointless to do it on that?
Compared to the ppd for the GPU alone, yes. The CPU client reduced the throughput of the GPU one by more than it added itself. Plus I didn't find it especially reliable, failing more projects than it completed either due to the core crashing or premature EOFs during calculation.

Upvote 0
It's only ~16C above the idle temp, and it will do that 24/7 if I let it. I've seen 63C after an extended gaming session so it's not anything unusual. Heck, my old 8800GT sits at 82C (on a bench!) as it is folding constantly.

Compared to the ppd for the GPU alone, yes. The CPU client reduced the throughput of the GPU one by more than it added itself. Plus I didn't find it especially reliable, failing more projects than it completed either due to the core crashing or premature EOFs during calculation.

Huh, well my x4 965 rig only has a 9500gs which was at best a economy card when it was new 3 years ago. Might not mess with that pc at all then

Upvote 0
I'm on board..... I think? It must take a while for everything to register. I have the correct team number in configuration but I don't see my username in the team list nor does anything come up when i click on "View User Statistics".

Running the GPU client on a PowerColor Radeon HD 5770.

Kinda confused about the clients. Are the GPU clients better to go with or the original ones?

My current CPU is a Intel Core2Quad Q8300 OCed to 3.3GHz.

Would I benefit more using the CPU client over the GPU?

Upvote 0
I'm on board..... I think?

Welcome aboard! Looks like everything's fine, as you're showing in the list now. :)

Running the GPU client on a PowerColor Radeon HD 5770.

My current CPU is a Intel Core2Quad Q8300 OCed to 3.3GHz.

Would I benefit more using the CPU client over the GPU?
No, the GPU client will return far more ppd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones