• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

just a few questions!

Kinslaarr

Lurker
Aug 3, 2011
hey, today i made the conversion from iphone to android and im loving it! I was just wondering that I have seen on youtube that certain phones were running froyo? can anybody tell me what is froyo? and do i need to keep updating my android phones version of froyo? and how do i do that?

Welcome to the Android Forums!

The Android OS has a number of different versions over the years. Android uses dessert names to name their versions (in addition to a numbered version). Here is a summary of the different versions:

Cupcake -- 1.5
Doughnut -- 1.6
Eclair -- 2.0, 2.1
Froyo -- 2.2
Gingerbread -- 2.3.x

Unlike a PC where if you are on Vista, you can obtain Windows 7 and install it, Android phones are not exactly upgraded like that. Generally, when a newer version of the OS is available, the manufacturer and/or carrier has to tweak it to work on the particular phone. Then that version becomes available and you can get the update pushed to your phone and then you can install it. Not all phones will support all new versions of the OS. It depends on whether the manufacturer/carrier decides to spend time on making it work. Sometimes for older phones, the manufacturer does not bother in which case you cannot upgrade.

You should be able to check the version on your phone in your settings. It will most likely show the version number like 2.1 instead of the name like Eclair. The reason is that there are sub-version numbers depending on your phone like 2.1.1, 2.1.2, etc.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Just to add

3.x Honeycomb - Only available on tablets
4.0* Ice Cream Sandwich - Should mesh Gingerbread and Honeycomb into and phone/tablet agnostic OS. *Google has not announced that Ice Cream Sandwich will be Android version 4.0 (that I have seen) but that is how it is being referred to in most places and would be the next logical step.

Ice_Cream_Sandwich_Logo.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones