• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just got the TP, should I install CM7 or wait for CM9/ICS?

CM7 is a dead end. All development is on CM9 now.

CM9 is great if you don't upgrade from CM7.
Hiya,

I have a 32GB Touchpad still currently running WebOS, and holding back on pulling the trigger on CM9 until at least a Beta load is ready, as clearly there are still a few gaps to close with the current Alpha builds. Is there any word on the street for when Beta will be released?.

I note your comment on CM9 is great provided you don't upgrade. Is that likely to be the case once a the fully Prod CM9 release is out and we have to go Beta to full Prod?

Cheers

MD.

Upvote 0
CM7 was out for some time and the alpha 3.5 version was just about called a beta.

There is no ETA and it's considered rude to ask the CM devs for one. IF you get an answer it'd probably be "two weeks", a line from the Tom Hanks movie, the Money Pit.

We're on alpha 0.6 right now. Since you get a boot menu that lets you choose which one to boot, the only reason to not install is if you use CM7 since there's no easy/safe/public posted way to triple boot. By default it WILL boot into CM, but that can be changed with an preware app on the webOS side.

You can't upgrade from webOS, only a similar os like CM7 so you'd be doing a clean install. :D

Reactions: meggiedude
Upvote 0
CM7 was out for some time and the alpha 3.5 version was just about called a beta.

There is no ETA and it's considered rude to ask the CM devs for one. IF you get an answer it'd probably be "two weeks", a line from the Tom Hanks movie, the Money Pit.

We're on alpha 0.6 right now. Since you get a boot menu that lets you choose which one to boot, the only reason to not install is if you use CM7 since there's no easy/safe/public posted way to triple boot. By default it WILL boot into CM, but that can be changed with an preware app on the webOS side.

You can't upgrade from webOS, only a similar os like CM7 so you'd be doing a clean install. :D
Thanks for the advice.
Yep, I know its rude to ask developers ETA's on work like this, which is why I just asked the latest "word on the street" ;)
Does this Alpha build generate separate partition(s) for the ICS OS. If so how much of my touchpads 32GB will be tied up?

ATB

MD

Upvote 0
The same folders are used whether you install CM7 or CM9. At this point you can't have both.

The total size of the install files is only 150 megs (zipped) and from memory I believe it's a little over 1 gb used, so I doubt you'll miss the space.
OK cheers,
So I assume that the current Webos partition sizes are being changed to accomodate the Andoid load? Or is this being installed within the current WebOS partitions (for example - as per the Ubuntu WUBI install which allows you to run Ubuntu via a disk image sat within Windows)
Just wondering what is happening to the current Touchpads partition table.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones