1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Just got the TP, should I install CM7 or wait for CM9/ICS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jericko, Dec 25, 2011.

1. jericko

jericko Android Enthusiast

Hello, sorry for the newbie questions, I just got a TouchPad 32 gig and was wondering if I should installed CM7 or wait for CM9/ICS? Is CM7 stable? How far out is CM9/ICS?

Thanks for the help!

Jason

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jeffery

Jeffery Android Enthusiast

Install CM7 it works well and it will be really easy to install ICS when it is available.

jericko likes this.
  3. jericko

Thanks Jeffery. If I can follow up with 2 questions, I have 2 TPs, I 16 gig and the other 32 gig. Is it the same process for both TPs? Someone said it was harder to get Android on the 32 gig. Also, how far out is ICS for the TP?

Thanks

4. Jeffery

Jeffery Android Enthusiast

It's the same process... I have two 32GB and had no problems whatsoever.

No ETA for ICS as far as I know, but I would think we should at least have a BETA in the next month or so (just my opinion though and I could be wrong).

jericko likes this.
  5. jericko

Thanks Jeffery!

6. pa49

pa49 Lurker

Try Leos XRON V2.9 ROM.

jericko likes this.
  7. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast

Just go with cm7, you'll be happy. Xron is great.

8. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

CM7 is a dead end. All development is on CM9 now.

CM9 is great if you don't upgrade from CM7.

9. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert

After having my touchpad for a few months I decided to root it and get some ICS love on it, its running great on the KANG rom right now. Only things not working is flash, HD video and the headset jack

10. meggiedude

meggiedude Member

Hiya,

I have a 32GB Touchpad still currently running WebOS, and holding back on pulling the trigger on CM9 until at least a Beta load is ready, as clearly there are still a few gaps to close with the current Alpha builds. Is there any word on the street for when Beta will be released?.

I note your comment on CM9 is great provided you don't upgrade. Is that likely to be the case once a the fully Prod CM9 release is out and we have to go Beta to full Prod?

Cheers

MD.

11. colchiro

CM7 was out for some time and the alpha 3.5 version was just about called a beta.

There is no ETA and it's considered rude to ask the CM devs for one. IF you get an answer it'd probably be "two weeks", a line from the Tom Hanks movie, the Money Pit.

We're on alpha 0.6 right now. Since you get a boot menu that lets you choose which one to boot, the only reason to not install is if you use CM7 since there's no easy/safe/public posted way to triple boot. By default it WILL boot into CM, but that can be changed with an preware app on the webOS side.

You can't upgrade from webOS, only a similar os like CM7 so you'd be doing a clean install. :D

meggiedude likes this.
  12. meggiedude

meggiedude Member

Thanks for the advice.
    Yep, I know its rude to ask developers ETA's on work like this, which is why I just asked the latest "word on the street" ;)
    Does this Alpha build generate separate partition(s) for the ICS OS. If so how much of my touchpads 32GB will be tied up?

ATB

MD

13. colchiro

The same folders are used whether you install CM7 or CM9. At this point you can't have both.

The total size of the install files is only 150 megs (zipped) and from memory I believe it's a little over 1 gb used, so I doubt you'll miss the space.

meggiedude likes this.
  14. meggiedude

meggiedude Member

OK cheers,
    So I assume that the current Webos partition sizes are being changed to accomodate the Andoid load? Or is this being installed within the current WebOS partitions (for example - as per the Ubuntu WUBI install which allows you to run Ubuntu via a disk image sat within Windows)
    Just wondering what is happening to the current Touchpads partition table.

15. colchiro

The partition used for data by webOS is resized smaller for new partitions and mounted as "sdcard". Except for "boot" (which gets boot menu items), it is the only shared partition that I'm aware of.

meggiedude likes this.
  16. meggiedude

meggiedude Member

OK, well I've pulled the trigger. ICS all loaded OK easy-peasy
    Time to start pulling apps :D