• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Received The New Nexus S On AT&T

Just received my Black ATT Nexus S today! Love it so far! Little learning curve as it's my first android phone, but it's beautiful!

Noob question...how do I check what apps are running and close them? Does google automatically close apps in background after they haven't been used in a while?

Ex...I just tried all 3 angry birds and just click home button when done.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Question:

I see that everyone is loving their Nexus S i9020A from Negri which is great. I have one little concern. Is this the Canadian version or the US version with Samsung USA warranty? In other words can any warranty issues be handled by Samsung USA?

If it is the official US version why hasn't Best Buy picked it up which is the only official retailer. Also there is no mention of the i9020a on the US Nexus portal. Corrections welcomed. This is my understanding.

Upvote 0
Loving this phone! So unproductive at work today! All I can do is play with it! Any recommendations for first time android user on apps/recommended keyboard (enjoying gingerbread one)/tweaks to phone?

I have already set an all black wallpaper as I hear that is best with battery on amoled screens.

I prefer Swiftkey, it's by far the best keyboard i have found. And the word prediction is amazing. Swype is also pretty good, but i definitely don't like it as much as Swiftkey.

Some other apps that are essential to me.

Adobe flash
Handcent SMS
Beautiful Widgets
LED Light
Amazon App Store
Pandora
Pulse
PlayerPro
Astro
LauncherPro
Miren Browser

Upvote 0
Question:

I see that everyone is loving their Nexus S i9020A from Negri which is great. I have one little concern. Is this the Canadian version or the US version with Samsung USA warranty? In other words can any warranty issues be handled by Samsung USA?

If it is the official US version why hasn't Best Buy picked it up which is the only official retailer. Also there is no mention of the i9020a on the US Nexus portal. Corrections welcomed. This is my understanding.

I have the exact same questions and when I spoke with Negri they told me they are US versions. When I pressed, they said they were purchased directly from Samsung USA. Not sure about that but I ordered one anyway.

Guess I'll find out. But with some reporting issues with YouTube, etc. something might not be gelling with the software version/build/kernel and at&t

Upvote 0
I prefer Swiftkey, it's by far the best keyboard i have found. And the word prediction is amazing. Swype is also pretty good, but i definitely don't like it as much as Swiftkey.

Some other apps that are essential to me.

Adobe flash
Handcent SMS
Beautiful Widgets
LED Light
Amazon App Store
Pandora
Pulse
PlayerPro
Astro
LauncherPro
Miren Browser

Thanks I will check them out!

Also been reading about noled online...does anyone here use that?

Upvote 0
I have the exact same questions and when I spoke with Negri they told me they are US versions. When I pressed, they said they were purchased directly from Samsung USA. Not sure about that but I ordered one anyway.

Guess I'll find out. But with some reporting issues with YouTube, etc. something might not be gelling with the software version/build/kernel and at&t

I have build GRI54 from Mobilecityonline (black nexus s) and youtube works fine...installed from market without any issues and watched a video...can't answer question regarding warranty though sorry.

Upvote 0
Thanks I will check them out!

Also been reading about noled online...does anyone here use that?

I tried it for a little while, but i really didn't like it. It used a lot of battery and drastically slowed down my phone. I am using a custom kernel with BLN (Back Light Notifications) and it has been awesome. But i definitely don't recommend it if you don't know much about rooting/hacking your device.

Upvote 0
I tried it for a little while, but i really didn't like it. It used a lot of battery and drastically slowed down my phone. I am using a custom kernel with BLN (Back Light Notifications) and it has been awesome. But i definitely don't recommend it if you don't know much about rooting/hacking your device.

Thanks...I was debating on putting CM7 on my device as soon as I turned it on so I didn't have to worry about configuring apps twice, but figured since it's my first android device I'll leave it stock for a little. Love that wifi hotspot is enabled by default!

2 noob rooting questions:
1. When you put a custom rom on with backup software do settings carry over or do you have to reconfigure all apps
2. If on a custom rom and 2.3.4 releases can you update?

Upvote 0
Thanks...I was debating on putting CM7 on my device as soon as I turned it on so I didn't have to worry about configuring apps twice, but figured since it's my first android device I'll leave it stock for a little. Love that wifi hotspot is enabled by default!

1. When you put a custom rom on with backup software do settings carry over or do you have to reconfigure all apps

Most of the time data settings stay the same for the apps. You just have to install them again. Because Google can back up apps. Getting the update for the next version of Android through a custom ROM, that I am not sure of. To be safe you might want to know how to revert back to bone stock like it came out the box when an update comes out. I suggest you learn that before you attempt a root with a custom ROM.

When Sprint finally releases the 4G Nexus I will let it sit stock for a little and then use CM7 since it's in it's final and stable stage. I just like the tweak of having your status bar at the bottom of the screen and toogle widgets in the status bar. Other then that it's the same so it almost makes me not want to flash. Pure is just fine. Still CM7 is pretty much stock with extra tweaks and a few substituions (launcher to mock stock launcher). Settings and everything else is the same.

Also I want to try out MIUI. Thats in beta but runs like it's stable on my friends Nexus S. Just curious as to try other ROMS. I really like the themes MIUI has. Every now and then I'll go back to bone stock. JUST MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THAT BEFORE YOU FLASH A ROM. In some or most cases I'll have it rooted but won't flash any ROMS. That way I can still recieve updates and benefit from apps that just simply require root and tweaks that require root & everything else out the box stays the same. And what I mean by this is, Root Explorer. I love the sound of the WP7 click sound on the keyboard so on my Epic4G I switched the native sound out with the WP7 click sound. I even made that sound for my iPod Touch 4G lol. IF YOU ROOT AN ANDROID PHONE YOU MUST JAILBREAK/ROOT AN IPOD OR IPHONE, OR IPAD. ITS NATURE LOL. Androids is annoying. Sounds like a flat type writer. And another tweak is to change my lock screen to a MIUI or have my own custom theme lock screen that can be found over at XDA. Simple but awesome changes that catch the eye. Eye candy like that don't require ROMS. Just root. Also I like to open apps and change the images to text and sign the apk and install it. I like my apps to say what it is in a text form rather then a picture. Just gives the phone a differ look and style. As you can see I'm very versatile with my phone. When the NEXUS S4G comes out I'll post pictures and hopefully we can make a thread showing off our screen layouts. Hopefully the NS4G doesn't require much of a different root then the original Nexus S on T-Mobile & AT&T.

Upvote 0

I always backup my apps with Titanium Backup this saves all my apps data and settings. So as soon as i restore my apps and data everything is back to the way it was before.

And you can update but you would need to go back to the stock rom before updating or it will cause problems. But with CM7 they typically have the next version of android a little before or after the OTA hits. So you are never waiting long. I have had android 2.3.3 since a couple days after it released with CM7.

@androidifyme

I made a screen shot thread a while back but no one joined in. :( I love seeing different people's layouts. I'm using CM7 with Netarchy 1.3.0.2 and the MattedBlues theme. This theme is my favorite and now i can't live without it. :)

Upvote 0
here is my home screen nothing fancy and I`m using SuperAosp-ST-Nexus-S-6.0 overclocked at 1.3 ghz:D

snap20110419_192638.png

snap20110420_140955.png

Reactions: Aatos.1
Upvote 0
I was just contacted by case company for the Nexus S and they some how tracked me down on XDA (saying I am a recognized memeber). I found it a little odd because I am not a developer but I am a part of XDA when it comes to rooting and etc. Anyways, they want reviewers and to be able to boost their 1st generation cases for the Nexus S. Offered me to choose one from their site and ship it to me for free. I will provide the link once I receive feedback and the case itself.

Also, I have found a white hard rubberized case (almost like a feather case from Incipio) for the Nexus S on PDair.com.

Upvote 0
I was just contacted by case company for the Nexus S and they some how tracked me down on XDA (saying I am a recognized memeber). I found it a little odd because I am not a developer but I am a part of XDA when it comes to rooting and etc. Anyways, they want reviewers and to be able to boost their 1st generation cases for the Nexus S. Offered me to choose one from their site and ship it to me for free. I will provide the link once I receive feedback and the case itself.

Also, I have found a white hard rubberized case (almost like a feather case from Incipio) for the Nexus S on PDair.com.

I am in the same scenario with rearth I will be receiving my case soon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones