• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just rooted, browser doesn't know location.

Sorce

Feb 23, 2010
Hey everyone, thanks to the great advice here I rooted and installed the gumbo kernel and fresh 1.1 yesterday. Everything went smooth. The only problem I have noticed is that the browsers can no longer access my location. I put the location service back on the phone but no luck. When I go to a site like buzz or access the google home page it can't get my location.

Any advice on this? Not a huge deal but I know it worked with the default browser beforehand and doesn't now. I've noticed when I use something that needs GPS the gps icon appears but it doesn't stay there all the time.

I tried rebooting, that didn't fix the issue. I've tried turning off and back on all the location settings. GPS works fine with sprint navigation and google maps but doesn't get pulled in by the browser. This was working before I put fresh 1.1 on there. I'm just wondering if it's something with the rom or something messed up on my phone. I've been testing with buzz.google.com and then click use unsupported device and then local.

Upvote 0
That could be it, although I did put location back on the phone, before reading that, now I've taken it back off. It's not a deal breaker and the benefits of a custom rom and kernel outweigh not having this functionality. Just something I noticed and just wanted to see if it was just me or a common issue with the custom rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones