• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep Baking your Bootlooping G4?!

Hi all, it's been a while. Last time I was dealing with deadzone issues on my G2, but now we are looking at the notorious bootloop issue on the G4.

Here's my current scenerio:

I had an LG G4 H811 with starting IMEI 352 that went into to bootloop recently.

It was unlocked, so not under warranty by LG, so I tried the cold/heat treatment to get my stuff off.
For this one, cold never worked, but heat would keep it on for anywhere from 15 min to 30. I baked the motherboard for about 5 min in 350 in a toaster oven (in a glass bowl), probably 2 times to backup data, then 2 more to transfer stuff to a replacement "new other" G4 I purchased, this time locked with T-mobile, from eBay. IMEI Start number 359.

After that, I set it away for a while, and used the replacement...until that also went into bootloop right around a month from purchase!

I had no problem validating the receipt for warranty with LG this time, but since I wasn't smart enough to backup all my stuff, not thinking it would die so soon (if at all), I had to get my data off first.

I didn't want to do the bake just in case I would damage something, so I tried the hairdryer instead; no luck. So the freezer was the next stop, and this turned out to be the solution; this one only powered on in the cold.

I had to keep it in the freezer, so just backed up everything holding it down in the cold there.
Once complete, I simply packaged up and shipped off to LG, not thinking to use the hairdryer to dry everything off first from condensation.
Of course, LG techs saw some stain, and said water damage was on the matherboard and voided my warranty! Goofy mistake on my end. When I got it back, it did actually power on again in the cold, so the "damage" was just a water stain anyway. All in all, the eBay seller is sending me a replacement since it was so soon after purchase.

Now back to the 1st LG G4 I talked about, I knew I had some contacts on there that weren't backed yet, so I tried the hairdryer on that, but no luck: would have to bake again. (Date 12/14/16) Did 5 min in 350, but this time no luck (that would be bake attempt number 5), so I put the motherboard right back in for 5 min. at 400! Bake attempt 6, as I figure.

This time, powered on after 2-3 tries at around 11:30 am, and...stayed...on...ALL DAY! When I got home from work, I knew I had to try to put the cameras and the Sim card in to see if it would power on again. I tried at 10:10, and it did indeed, at room temp, and I had a fully functional G4!

Left it on since then, until now, when I reboot it to do an android update at around 11:30 am. Succesfully completed the update and powered on around 11:30.

So far so good, I'm hopeful that 6th try at higher temp somehow did the trick to stick that loose connector or something.

Will keep you guys posted on how long this phone lasts.

- Sam

So much for that....it died the next day :/

I baked again and tried a factory reset, only stayed on for about an hour.

So yeah, the bootloop remains irreparable.

If anyone has figured out how to seal the loose component to the motherboard, and where exactly the loose part is, let me know! Waiting on my THIRD replacement G4. I'll baby this one as far as how toasty I let it get, and see how long it lasts me.

- Sam

Upvote 0
Please do.

My 60X seems to be fine so far. It does run a little hot, but I'm not overly concerned by it at the moment.

Absolutely no issues to report, it does run a little hot at times with games or when I have a lot of apps open while the phones in my pocket, but Iv'e had maybe 2 times where I had to restart the phone for freezing up.

Love this phone, so glad I put the extra effort into finding one without the bootloop isue!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones