• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root killed mobile network while switching roms

Jdiulus

Jan 11, 2010
Ok not sure how this happened but here is what I did. Decided to flsh a new rom and before I did I wiped everytging. I wiped cache,dalvik cache,battery stats,rotate, and factory data reset. Flashed new rom and haven't had my mobile network since. It says 3g in notification area but I got nothing. I even restored my nand backup and that didn't work. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Ok not sure how this happened but here is what I did. Decided to flsh a new rom and before I did I wiped everytging. I wiped cache,dalvik cache,battery stats,rotate, and factory data reset. Flashed new rom and haven't had my mobile network since. It says 3g in notification area but I got nothing. I even restored my nand backup and that didn't work. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Try this:

1. Download xtrSENSE and copy to your SD card
2. Nandroid backup
3. Wipe data, wipe dalvik, flash xtrSENSE
4. Restart. After setting up, dial *228 and press 1 to reactivate the phone
5. Verify that you have data
6. Restart in Recovery and restore the Nandroid that you made in step 2

Hopefully, that will work.

Though, just to ask the question, you are on Verizon Wireless, right?

Upvote 0
Try this:

1. Download xtrSENSE and copy to your SD card
2. Nandroid backup
3. Wipe data, wipe dalvik, flash xtrSENSE
4. Restart. After setting up, dial *228 and press 1 to reactivate the phone
5. Verify that you have data
6. Restart in Recovery and restore the Nandroid that you made in step 2

Hopefully, that will work.

Though, just to ask the question, you are on Verizon Wireless, right?

Yes I am verizon wireless. I did something very similar to this after the problem happened. I had originally came for xtrsense and after I wiped everything i flashed a 2.3 ROM.

That was when I realized that had the data issue. So I then wiped everything and flashed my Nandroid backup of my XTRsense Rom. I then dialed *228 and reactivated the phone.

See what is really weird is I do get my 3g service in certain areas. For instance it seems to be just fine while i am at work. As soon as I get home though I get nothing (even though I have the 3g icon in notification area) and I have always had 3g service at my home. It started as soon as I flashed that new ROM.

Like I said earlier I wiped the battery stats and the rotate settings. That is something that I had never done before but was more or less just messing around. I am about 2 weeks out from receiving my new Droid Bionic so I was just trying to get a little more boost out of my ERIS until then.

Isnt there some type of radio that I can flash or something. Does that even have anything to do with the mobile network? The bottom line is that it just appears that I weakened my mobile network coverage (if that even makes sense)!

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes I am verizon wireless. I did something very similar to this after the problem happened. I had originally came for xtrsense and after I wiped everything i flashed a 2.3 ROM.

That was when I realized that had the data issue. So I then wiped everything and flashed my Nandroid backup of my XTRsense Rom. I then dialed *228 and reactivated the phone.

See what is really weird is I do get my 3g service in certain areas. For instance it seems to be just fine while i am at work. As soon as I get home though I get nothing (even though I have the 3g icon in notification area) and I have always had 3g service at my home. It started as soon as I flashed that new ROM.

Maybe you are data roaming at home and were not aware of it before? If the 2.3 ROM that you are running is CM7 based, you should be able to go home, menu->settings->wireless & networks->Mobile networks - check "National data roaming". Maybe that's it.

By the way, if you have WiFi at home, use that instead - it's faster and uses less power than 3G.

Like I said earlier I wiped the battery stats and the rotate settings. That is something that I had never done before but was more or less just messing around. I am about 2 weeks out from receiving my new Droid Bionic so I was just trying to get a little more boost out of my ERIS until then.

That shouldn't matter.

Isnt there some type of radio that I can flash or something. Does that even have anything to do with the mobile network? The bottom line is that it just appears that I weakened my mobile network coverage (if that even makes sense)!

If you are getting adequate network 3G coverage on xtrSENSE, then it's not your radio - that does not change when you flash a ROM.

But, just to ask the question, what is your baseband version?

Upvote 0
No I flashed back to XTRsense. I would use wireless at home if I had it. Thats the whole problem. My only source of internet at home is my cell phone. I tether for my internet connection.

I know for a fact that the issue started as soon as I wiped everything. Literally everything was working fine one minute and the next it wasnt.

I am Baseband version 2.42.01.04.27

Thanks

Upvote 0
What are your PRL version and signal strength listed as in settings -> about phone -> status? The latest PRL came out on the 15th and will most likely be in the range of 52418 - 52440. Might be worth going through *228 option 2 whether you are up to date or not just to make sure it's the correct one. It's doubtful that the radio itself is messed up since almost no custom ROMs include a radio image, but you could try out the newest 2.42.02.10.29 Sprint HeroC radio that is compatible with the Eris if you want. The installation instructions and radio.img can be found HERE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones