1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Kitkat

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Note3owner, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Note3owner

Note3owner Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 26, 2013
    I'm downloading Kitkat now!
    We in Singapore get it first :)

Advertisement

2. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    i shouldnt bother.its rubbish

3. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Project Manager
    UK
    I've still not got it in the UK. Supposed to be ready this month...... Leaving it a bit late!

Why is it rubbish?

4. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    no real benefits over jellybean.a tad buggy although rom developers have started to slightly improve it. if i had my time again id have done my homework because u must remember that once u flash kk it has a locked bootloader and there is no going back.well there is a way to go back but trust me its risky and really not worth the hassle.if i were u id stick to jb for now

5. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    ps u dont have to wait until the end of the month for kk.what phone are u running

6. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    you didnt have it first in singapore.poland had it first for the note 3 and the singapore build is exactly the same as the polish.i wouldnt install it just yet if i were you.are u running a snapdragon note 3?

7. Note3owner

None

Dec 26, 2013
  8. iwoloschin

iwoloschin Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Somerville, MA
    Please ignore ih8kitkat. They're being kind of obnoxious, possibly justified, but it's really over the top.

Kit Kat should offer a number of "behind the scenes" improvements. Most you won't see on a top of the line device like a Note 3, but rest assured, things should be running smoother, and possibly extend the battery life somewhat There's a number of other minor enhancements to Touchwiz, though I'm not really familiar with them as I haven't upgraded my phone yet.

As always, with any major software update (phones, computers, Playstations) make sure you're well informed before upgrading, as sometimes existing features are changed or removed, or other functionality is broken until third party developers can catch up. Fortunately 4.4 is not brand new at this point, so that should be fairly unlikely, but don't blindly upgrade if your phone has some critical functionality that may break, do your research first. Or just ask here, and we'll help out! :)

ahjengmool likes this.
  9. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    yeah from what i hear KK is not really a major upgrade......a bunch of very small improvements. i do not plan to update the phone just yet. once i get off my behind and finally root the phone....then i plan on flashing some KK roms....but officially no i can wait.

JB on the note 3 is pretty good as is IMO.

dustwun77 and Rxpert83 like this.
  10. Note3owner

None

Dec 26, 2013
    It works well for me :)

dontpanicbobby and ocnbrze like this.
  11. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    well then that is all that matters.;)

12. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    Any reports of Kitkat being rubbish etc. can only be taken with a pinch of salt, there isn't any major revamp or anything but just subtle things here and there so how can it be 'rubbish' its hardly noticable!
    I think my battery life has extended a bit but not massively as it was very good before, still I have no complaints at all, everything works as it should. I did my update OTA at work but even so, I did a full factory reset and cache wipe just to make sure it was all at base settings to start with.
    Not sure why the UK updates are taking so long, I think 2 or 3 carriers in Ireland have seen the update so I wouldn't think it will be too long now.

13. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    if you do your research then you would see there are very major bugs in the firmware release.not to mention the inability to now use 3rd party cases which has lead to samsung admitting major floors in the update and assuring users that there will be a future update to iron out all of the "extensive issues"(samsungs words not mine).as stated by myself.some of the better rom developers have ironed out some of the issues but the official firmware is bug ridden so yes i stand by what i said.i would avoid this update until issues have been fixed

14. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    ps maybe the uk updates are taking so long because samsung have realised the balls up and are holding off until the next update, just a thought

15. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    Major bugs?
    The last 10 websites I have read have all just stated the issue with 3rd party cases with S View, which I think most people know about by now anyway, I can't find any reports of 'extensive issues'
    The update I did via OTA is fine, can you post some links to these issues so that I can check further?

16. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    my main source is from a guy i know that works for samsung named john rowe. if u had carried out extensive research then u would know that another issue which people are having with the new update is external sd card not mounting,samsung have also received complaints from some people with camera issues,reboot issues and battery drain issues although i havent experienced the later 3 issues personally and my battery life seems to have improved.samsung are also receiving complaints that the call record option has been removed from the script in this update.that issue for me as i originally stated in my thread is a huge issue as call record is very handy for my work,however this may not be an issue for you and may well be fixed in the next update.i stand by what i originally said.i would personally wait before updating,but everything in life is down to personal choice

17. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    I wasn't aware Samsung had a caller record function on the Note 3, or Note 2 for that matter, news to me. My 32gb SD card has been fine however I did back it up before updating, which I would encourage everyone to do anyway.

18. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    come on you are just deliberately trying to split hairs. its all over the internet that call record worked on jellybean yet doesnt work on kitkat. people have even highlighted the change in the programme script on xda. are you rooted?you ever heard wannam exposed

19. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Your issue isn't with KitKat. Its with Samsung's flavor of KK, specific to your device.

When you boil it down, you are blaming an entire OS because Samsung added some buggy code or is now missing features.

20. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    not a buggy source code.the call record code was completely removed.maybe an oversight.the next update should tell us more

21. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    i dont mean to sound like im being funny but im only judging samsungs version as i have samsung devices.why would i care about the htc version of kit kat etc.i have no interest

22. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Because KitKat isnt the real issue. The real issue is that Samsung released an update which removed a feature. You've got every right to be mad that a feature that you really like isn't working anymore, but I'm just saying your anger is aimed in the wrong place.

I can download call recording apps on my Nexus 5 and they work just fine. Its running KitKat straight from Google.

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  23. ih8kitkat

ih8kitkat Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    engineer
    England UK
    exactly.im aware the nexus aint experiencing these problems.another problem with samsung is that they hammer the os with bloatware.you are ok but you are running a nexus.the fact is my main handset is a note 3 is the problem.its all good and well having a snapdragon quad core processor but its a waste of time if samsung are going to cram the phone full of crap which people dont even use.this is why my phone is rooted with bloatware removed

24. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    The adage : "One man's meat is another's poison" comes to mind. What is bloat ware to one person is another's useful feature. People do use it, others don't. By all means root and uninstall unwanted features (better still freeze it).

If you think all this "bloat ware" is affecting the performance of the device, which you allude to, I think your way off the mark. It is just there or in your case not.

I can't help feeling you would prefer a Nexus device, at least OS wise and can't understand why you got what is well known to be a heavily skinned version of Android, with extras.

El Presidente likes this.
  25. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Project Manager
    UK
    I have no idea why people bang on about bloatware. Why buy these devices if you don't like them when there are pure android phones out there.
    Personally never found it to be a problem on any of the 3 note models I've had. Just switch off what's not needed.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.