• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lapdock 500 or Asus transformer Infinity with dock?

KidFlash

Feb 10, 2010
I am having trouble deciding which to get. I mainly want it to take notes with in class since I type faster than I hand write. So I like that the lapdock is cheaper and that ill have internet wherever, but unfortunately if I choose not to have a Motorola phone in the future it will basically be obsolete. That's where the infinity seems more attractive.
I'm hoping to get some more opinions though. Anyone wanna help? Experiences or opinions will be greatly appreciated .

Comes down to $70 (sorry I was thinking of Bionic Lapdock, Lapdock 500 you can get for around $150-200) vs $400 really. Depends on how much you want to spend. Only you know how long you plan to keep your phone. If you upgrade devices a lot then there's a good chance you'll end up with something that won't fit the lapdock relatively soon. If you keep your devices a long time, that won't be an issue. I have a lapdock but I barely use it. Then again I don't need to take notes anywhere. Heck you could just buy a bluetooth keyboard and sync it to the Bionic and hardly spend any money at all, if you don't care that you're still looking at the 4" phone screen.

Reactions: KidFlash
Upvote 0
I have a Xoom LTE tablet with a minimal data option, a Bionic with unlimited data and a Lapdock 500. With GB the lapdock is definitely handicapped since not all of the features are enabled. ICS will take care of that problem and the combination of the lapdock and Bionic will be an excellent choice if you decide to stay with Moto phones in the future. I may regret my decision but for now I like the combo which combines the features of both devices. I am not sure what the future of Moto (or MOGO) is now but I do like the Bionic which has been excellent for me, none of the problems others are reporting. I have a 32Gb external chip in my Bionic and a class 10 32 Gb Ultra San Disk chip in my Lapdock 500, lots of storage. Now just waiting for the ICS OTA. I just looked at the specs on the Transformer and it is impressive. I still prefer the build quality of MOTO phones although I am not impressed currently with the customer support and communication. I believe much of the OTA delay is from VZ but that does not help us.
Lew

Upvote 0
I highly recommend the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T with dock. The tablet by itself is the best available. Then add the keyboard dock and the combination is incredible. I bought an Asus TF101 and dock back when they first became available. I upgraded to the TF700T about six weeks ago. You will enjoy the five CPUs at 1.6 Mhz, the retina quality but bigger screen, and the charge it every three days battery life. Also, it tethers perfectly with a Bionic.

Upvote 0
I would recommend the Asus tablet. We all know that phones come and go. Chances are you may want to look at another phone besides a Moto phone. You will get way more use out of the tablet.

I would also recommend looking into the Nexus 7. Then price is a non issue. Just add a Zagg bluetooth keyboard. You also get the $25 credit, so then it is down to 174.99 for the 8Gb. It still has the Tegra 3 processor and it is pure Android, running Jelly Bean.

Chris...

Upvote 0
If the TF700T keyboard feels anything like the one for the TF101, I recommend the Transformer. I actually use both the Bionic lapdock and the TF101 on my lunchbreak to read a Kindle Book (on the lapdock) and type notes on the Transformer. This is because the keyboard dock for the Transformer has keys that feel more raised and is more responsive.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys for the replies :) I took them all into consideration. Although I do feel that the transformer would probably be a bit of a better device, I ultimately decided on the lapdock because it's cheaper. I've had a lot of expenses thsis year, so I gotta try to save up what a lost. I'm typing this on my lapdock and I love it! It's really convenient and portable and the keyboard is very similar to the one on my old laptop so it was easy to get used to. Thank you all for your inputs! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones