• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Launcher pro or ADW?

Oh, one thing I didn't really care for on ADW is that if you swiped down anywhere on the home screen, it would pull down the notification bar. I seemed to do that a lot, by accident. I could see how others may find that a plus, though.

I really wish launcherpro had this feature. I saw it on adw and thought it would be something I'd use a lot.

Upvote 0
3. Don't see any free add-on themes that will go with LauncherPro (may be i am wrong. If someone knows where to get themes i can use with Launcher Pro then please reply to this message)

This site has docks and icons for free. I'm sure there are other sites that offer icons or docks as well - heck, you can probably even use icons that you'd find on a place like DeviantArt.

Reactions: JackTheKnife
Upvote 0
You guys are making me love Launcher Pro even more, thanks.

How is the Plus version, do you get a lot more features?

Much more features. You get a few widgets from I believe HTC Sense, or Samsung TW that he ported. He also just released a icon pack for the Launcher Pro as well. I've been juggling between the two (ADW & Launcher Pro Plus).

Upvote 0
I liked the customization of Launcher Pro better, but it would occasionally have this weird but where certain folders on my phone's "desktop" just wouldn't open no matter how many times I tried to open them. It would require restarting the phone for the folders to open again.
That happened to me once. Restarting the entire phone wasn't necessary though... just restarting Launcher Pro fixed it.

Now, if I could just figure out how to re-arrange screens in LauncherPro... TW lets you, there must be a way...

Upvote 0
Oh, one thing I didn't really care for on ADW is that if you swiped down anywhere on the home screen, it would pull down the notification bar. I seemed to do that a lot, by accident. I could see how others may find that a plus, though.

That feature can be turned off or bound to a different function by changing ADW Settings -> System Preferences -> Swipe down actions.

Those of you that think ADW is not as customizable as Launcher Pro have not played with the settings menu. While it is missing a few of the customization settings, the number of options available is a little more extensive. I do miss a few of the features from the free version of LauncherPro (like translucent folders, dock notifications, glass dock background, and 3D app drawer). I however switched from it to ADW for one reason alone, bugs. I ran across folders failing to open the most, and I switched over. I also liked the fact that the full version ADW is free, and there is more community support for themes. If they could merge together, it'd be a perfect union.

Upvote 0
hey I have launcherpro paid version and I only have three widgets. The people, calender, and links widgets.

I keep reading that there are many more available for the paid version... am I missing some widgets that I should have access to?

Those are the only three out so far. The next widget expected to come out will be an SMS or a FB/Twitter widget.

here is the thread from the site.
LauncherPro Forum • View topic - What's the next widget we can expect?

Upvote 0
I love LauncherPro for the dock. Scrollable, and each icon has two actions: one when you press it, and another when you swipe up on it. So many apps make sense in pairs this way: gmail/messaging, dialer/contacts, maps/GPSStatus, browser/market, music/podcasts, and so on. Between this and Google's gesture search app, I never open my app drawer except when I want to cruise it to see what stuff I've forgotten that I have.

I'm also loving the Beautiful Widgets weather. Click the clock for the clock app, the date for calendar, and the weather picture for forecast. Frees up even more dock space.

Upvote 0
I love LauncherPro for the dock. Scrollable, and each icon has two actions: one when you press it, and another when you swipe up on it. So many apps make sense in pairs this way: gmail/messaging, dialer/contacts, maps/GPSStatus, browser/market, music/podcasts, and so on. Between this and Google's gesture search app, I never open my app drawer except when I want to cruise it to see what stuff I've forgotten that I have.

I'm also loving the Beautiful Widgets weather. Click the clock for the clock app, the date for calendar, and the weather picture for forecast. Frees up even more dock space.

Hey! Who said you could use the same pairings on the dock! haha just kidding. gmail/messaging and dialer/contacts are pretty much a for sure.:D

Upvote 0
Much more features. You get a few widgets from I believe HTC Sense, or Samsung TW that he ported. He also just released a icon pack for the Launcher Pro as well. I've been juggling between the two (ADW & Launcher Pro Plus).

Hey I paid for launcherpro plus (2.99) and home switcher only shows it as Launcher Pro, is this normal?

Upvote 0
Only been with android 6 days, how do I get the 4 fixed? I've tried everything...

No problem! That's what we're all doing here, helping each other out.

Go to ADW Settings (menu button from the home screen, i.e., the left most "hard" button on the phone). Then choose UI Settings. At the top you'll see Desktop Dots (that's the little indicator as to which desktop screen you're on). Check that Off, then make sure on that same page LAB and RAB are checked (left and right action button).

Now when you return to your home screen, your dock will have the extra 2 dock spaces. To add a shortcut, hold it and the dock will show the trashcan in the center, and you can drag the shortcut to any of the 4 available positions. You can also open the app drawer, hold and drag all the way to the dock too.

Reactions: JahFtb and Simba501
Upvote 0
No problem! That's what we're all doing here, helping each other out.

Go to ADW Settings (menu button from the home screen, i.e., the left most "hard" button on the phone). Then choose UI Settings. At the top you'll see Desktop Dots (that's the little indicator as to which desktop screen you're on). Check that Off, then make sure on that same page LAB and RAB are checked (left and right action button).

Now when you return to your home screen, your dock will have the extra 2 dock spaces. To add a shortcut, hold it and the dock will show the trashcan in the center, and you can drag the shortcut to any of the 4 available positions. You can also open the app drawer, hold and drag all the way to the dock too.

And check the secondary action buttons. Took me a while to figure that out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones