• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Lazy Man's Movie Installation Guide for Droid (How-To)

Looks like the quality of films can vary considerably from megaupload- I DL'd The Simpsons Movie and it was a "camcorder job" filmed in a movie theater.

Im looking around for ya buddy, but I am having a hell of a time finding a good copy of that movie that is scaled right. There is a really good one on the thread that wont work on our phone because of the scale i think. I'm still looking for ya.:thinking:

Upvote 0
interesting: I started pulp fiction and let it run... when i came back, i noticed the sound and video was not synched properly, at the restaurant scene, no problem. However the talk about amsterdam in the car, voice doesn't match the video... I wasn't sure if that was because i was using "aPlayer" or because i had too many apps running in the background... or maybe a bad encoding of the movie.

anyone have experience with this issue? what player are u using to read ur media files?
can anyone suggest a movie that they know for sure has been well encoded, is good quality, and runs on their droid? that may give us a reference point to compare our individual droids...

also, the play of the movie isn't 100% smooth... it breaks up here and there... not sure why... playin the movie right now to see if it continues... yup, still does it once in a while...

anyone else?

Upvote 0
interesting: I started pulp fiction and let it run... when i came back, i noticed the sound and video was not synched properly, at the restaurant scene, no problem. However the talk about amsterdam in the car, voice doesn't match the video... I wasn't sure if that was because i was using "aPlayer" or because i had too many apps running in the background... or maybe a bad encoding of the movie.

anyone have experience with this issue? what player are u using to read ur media files?
can anyone suggest a movie that they know for sure has been well encoded, is good quality, and runs on their droid? that may give us a reference point to compare our individual droids...

also, the play of the movie isn't 100% smooth... it breaks up here and there... not sure why... playin the movie right now to see if it continues... yup, still does it once in a while...

anyone else?

I run into that issue every now and then if i pause a movie and then come back later. The easy fix for me is just tap the rewind a couple of times and it syncs back up. A very small pain but seems to work every time. Hope it works for ya.:D

Upvote 0
never mind i didnt mount when i thought i did. thanks- it seems to be downloading at the moment. it takes about 30 minutes per movie? is that normal?

Are you downloading the movie straight into your Droid? Or transfering it from a file on your PC after you have already downloaded it? If you are using the free option to download,(depending on your DL speeds), 15-30 minutes is normal. Transferring the file to your Droid should only take a couple minutes. I would say just to pick all your movies and DL them on a file on your desktop first. That way you dont have to have your phone mounted for so long.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to download the movies with the droid? I tried and wasnt successful. It took a while to enter in the code to enable the download (the browser seems kinda buggy to me). I then spent a minute or so waiting for a data connection before transitioning to the downloading screen which lasted about 30 seconds before I got a message saying the file format wasnt supported.

Upvote 0
Er, NO. It's copyright infringement either way. Both ends of the transaction are illegal.

Think of it as stealing and receiving stolen goods- both are illegal.

- A former law enforcement officer

100% True...A few notes though...

Generally law enforcement goes after the uploaders (though there have been exceptions). Please keep in mind, that this is currently the case. Tomorrow, the IP (Intellectual Property) holders or law enforcement COULD decide to go after downloaders. You would have ZERO protection if they decided to do this EXCEPT...

***HUGE GREY AREA CONCERNING THE LAW***
If you already OWN the movie (be it on VHS, DVD, etc), with the Fair Use Act, you MAY have SOME legal ground.

That said, Ripping a DVD and converting it with Handbrake (or whatever) is ALSO ILLEGAL. Why? Fair Use should make it fine right? Nope. There is another Law that makes it illegal to circumvent a media's copyright protection (meaning the protection on a DVD). So it's not technically illegal to make a backup, but to make the backup, you break the law by breaking the encryption (crazy I know)...

I'll not give my opinions on either side of the piracy debate, I just wanted to clarify things...

Lastly, the reason many movies have bars or "boxes" around them, is they are meant for Iphones/Blackberries/other Android phone's screen resolutions. The Droid has close to double the resolution, which is why you are seeing black areas around the movies...

Upvote 0
Is it possible to download the movies with the droid? I tried and wasnt successful. It took a while to enter in the code to enable the download (the browser seems kinda buggy to me). I then spent a minute or so waiting for a data connection before transitioning to the downloading screen which lasted about 30 seconds before I got a message saying the file format wasnt supported.

I too tried downloading directly from droid browser with no luck. I think it must be something with megaupload.

Upvote 0
I too tried downloading directly from droid browser with no luck. I think it must be something with megaupload.

I just dl a movie from the droid and it is on the phone. The thing i noticed is that it came with a .txt extension so i changed it to .mp4. It still did not play back on the phone. Not sure why.
It does play on my pc.

Any ideas.

Does it need to be mpg or avi or something other than mp4 i thought m peg 4 was a supported format.

Upvote 0
Err ok.... I'm going to do my rendition of "Lazy Man's Movie Installation Guide".... ready?

Step 1. Pick up your phone and go to imp4movies.com.
Step 2. Download.
Step 3. Watch.

w00t! Sorry, I take lazy to an extreme!!! Now now... I know what you're thinking... what if I have this giant avi file already and I want to watch that?? Well.. ok..

Step 1. Download doubletwist and add the movie to it's library.
Step 2. Hook up your phone.
Step 3. Drag and drop the movie from DT's library to phone and allow it to sync.
Step 4. Watch movie on phone.

Doubletwist detects the phone, already knows the video format, size, etc.. of the phone and converts it to play on the phone.

Why ALL these steps for such a simple process?

Upvote 0
I know that link has a disclaimer and I don't want to be a party pooper but that is piracy.

And downloading from file sharing services can have dangers.

actually if you own the movie, you can download a copy of it. It would then count as a backup. For someone like me, who owns hundreds of DVD's, but doesn't know thing one about ripping, it's fantastic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones