• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Leaked Gingerbread Discussion Thread

Wait, hold on... Where's the issue with all of this rooted/non-rooted stuff? Unless I read unrEVOked's website wrong, I could definitely be rooted, get the official OTA from Verizon as an OTA update, and regain root access. It is step-by-step with bullet points! It also took me only 30 seconds to find this out.

So, am I misunderstanding something (is it impossible to get a stock recovery image?), or is it really this simple?

Reinstalling an official recovery

If you wish to install a stock over-the-air update in the future (OTA), the safest way to do so is to install the recovery that originally shipped with your phone. To install an OTA:

Install unrevoked forever on your phone.
Download or create an appropriate PB31IMG.ZIP, PC36IMG.ZIP or HERCIMG.zip for your phone that contains the original recovery image.
We do not supply these images; since the recovery code is owned by HTC, we don't distribute it. You may be able to find these images on the XDA-Developers forums.
From the phone operating system, install the over-the-air update.
When the update is done installing, you will probably want to root it with a custom recovery. Download one of the following recovery restore images:
Amon-Ra recovery for EVO 4G
ClockworkMod recovery for EVO 4G
ClockworkMod recovery for Incredible
Amon-Ra recovery for CDMA Hero
Place the appropriate file – with that exact file name! – on the root of your SD card.
Reboot your device into HBOOT by removing the battery, pressing VOLUME DOWN, inserting the battery, and pressing POWER.
When prompted Do you want to start update?, press VOLUME UP for Yes. When prompted again Do you want to reboot device?, press VOLUME UP for Yes.
Your phone now has a custom recovery. To restore superuser access to your phone, you can apply any appropriate update.zip; such a file can likely be found here: Superuser App
check it here

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Wait, hold on... Where's the issue with all of this rooted/non-rooted stuff? Unless I read unrEVOked's website wrong, I could definitely be rooted, get the official OTA from Verizon as an OTA update, and regain root access. It is step-by-step with bullet points! It also took me only 30 seconds to find this out.

So, am I misunderstanding something (is it impossible to get a stock recovery image?), or is it really this simple?

check it here

Not sure exactly what you're asking but you can always load an officially signed PB31IMG in hboot. You need s-off to load custom recoveries because they are not signed. Doubtful that you would get the OTA due to being rooted with a custom recovery but you never know I guess. Some people got the November OTA that were rooted but it was more of a maint update.

Upvote 0
Sorry, my whole point was that people were starting to panic, trying to un-root their phones and get them back to stock so that they could get the Official OTA from Verizon. UnrEVOked seems to be clearly saying that anyone who is rooted with the 'Forever' tool can get a push update from Verizon by just re-installing the stock recovery image.

Maybe the site makes it sound easier than it is, but is it difficult to re-install the stock recovery image? It seems like the phone does all the work. All I would need to do is put the image on my sd card.

Also, just a question, is it pretty much guaranteed that when Verizon does put the final OTA update out, developers will make it a flashable ROM for all the rooted users (I mean that the ROM will be identical to the OTA that non-rooted users would be running; no modifications)? Has this ever not happened?

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones