• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

lease or buy

wait .. I have never heard of this option.

Leasing a phone... any phone..
no deposit
$5 month x 24 = $120.
then swap out for newest phone at end of 2 yrs.

what is the monthly service cost for 1 phone line? plus lease for 1 phone ($5/month).

that sounds pretty good... depending what they want for the service price.
if you can get it on the 1/2 my bill promotion... wow

(of course... sprint service in your area needs to be acceptable)

Upvote 0
I've had the same plan for years and every time I upgrade I get to keep it. I've got the one where it's really unlimited everything and I pay $50 per month.

wait .. I have never heard of this option.

Leasing a phone... any phone..
no deposit
$5 month x 24 = $120.
then swap out for newest phone at end of 2 yrs.

what is the monthly service cost for 1 phone line? plus lease for 1 phone ($5/month).

that sounds pretty good... depending what they want for the service price.
if you can get it on the 1/2 my bill promotion... wow

(of course... sprint service in your area needs to be acceptable)

Here's the ad:

Think of upgrading to a new Samsung Galaxy S® 5 as a start to upgrading your entire Sprint experience—one with many benefits you’ll love, including access to a 4G LTE network that’s 10 times faster than our previous network.

Upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S® 5 by 4/9/15 and receive all these great benefits from Sprint:
ImageProxy.mvc
Low-cost leasing
With Sprint Lease™ you can lease a new Samsung Galaxy S® 5 for $0 down at signing and $20/month, but after your $15 Loyalty Service Credit, it’s like paying just $5/month. And you’ll be saving up to $360 over 2 years. It’s our most affordable way to get a new device. Plus, you have the option to purchase at the end of your lease.

Sprint Buyback, doubled
Not sure what to do with your current device? With Sprint Buyback, you can sell your currently activated devices back to us by 4/9/15 and we’ll give you a credit for double their trade-in value!

We look forward to giving you more so you can enjoy more, so upgrade by 4/9/15 to make sure you don't miss out!

Upgrading is easy! Make an appointment with a Ready Now expert at a Sprint store today to get started.

$20/mo. for 24 months for well-qualified customers with new line activation or eligible upgrade.

Samsung Galaxy S® 5 for just $5/month? Here’s the math: $20 monthly lease with a $15 loyalty service credit making it like $5 a month—translating into $360 in savings per line (service credit applied within 2 invoices).

And the fine print:

**Monthly lease payments exclude taxes (varies by area). Monthly price plans exclude taxes and Sprint Surcharges [incl. USF charge of up to 16.8% (varies quarterly), up to $2.50 Admin. and 40¢ Reg./line/ mo. and fees by area (approx. 5–20%)]. Surcharges are not taxes. See sprint.com/taxesandfees. Offer ends 4/9/2015. Activ. Fee: $36/line. Credit approval req. Phone Offers: MSRP: $649.99. While supplies last. Taxes and service charges excluded. No cash back. Requires activation at the point of sale. Phone Lease Offer: Credit approval req. Terms for all other customers will vary including amount due at signing and taxes/fees. Req. qualifying device and service plan. No equipment security deposit required. Upon completion of 24 mo. term, customer can continue to pay monthly lease amount, purchase or return the device. Customer is responsible for insurance and repairs. Early termination of lease/service: Remaining lease payments will be due immediately, and requires device return or payment of purchase option device price outlined in lease. Loyalty Service Credit: Available only to existing customers while activated on qualified legacy service plans on select Android devices leased Sprint Lease, Eligible legacy service plans are Unlimited My Way, My All-in, Everything Data, Sprint Business Advantage, Sprint Business Advantage Data Share, and Sprint Business Essentials plans and must remain in good standing. Sprint Lease: Future leasing subject to device/plan availability and monthly payments may vary. Service rate plans and availability. Sprint Buyback: Offer ends 04/09/2015. Limit of 5 returned devices per active mobile number during one 12-month period, 3 per transaction. Phone must be deactivated & all personal data deleted before recycling. Device will not be returned. Credit varies depending on phone condition and valuation. Credit applied to store purchase or account within 3 invoices. Also available at sprintbuyback.com. Other Terms: Offers and coverage not available everywhere or for all phones/networks. Available at participating Sprint stores. No additional discounts apply. May not be combined with other offers. Restrictions apply. See store or sprint.com for details.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
This offer was primarily made for those people still on an Everything Data Share plan. Sprint will give a $15 credit off the lease price, but if you go through Best Buy, they give a $19 credit (last I heard, anyway).

Leasing isn't a bad option if you don't mind turning the phone in to get the next one. My understanding is that they highly encourage you to have their insurance when you lease. Personally, I'd do Easy Pay instead, and pay the extra $10/month to trade in at 12 months for a new phone.

Upvote 0
Just thought that I would mention that I just recently switched from the HTC M8 that I had to a brand new Nexus 6.

Sprint was offering an $48 discount to go with EasyPay. So I decided to make the jump, once I was assured that I wouldn't lose my old Everything plan.

Sprint kept their word...I have the new Nexus 6 and I still have my old Everything plan.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
If your a long time customer like I am, I went in to upgrade 2 phones on my account and they gave me a promo that if I added a new line they would give me basically a phone on Sprint. It would be an 18 month lease but Sprint pays for 12 months and I only pay for 6 months. For the 1st 12 months I would just need to pay for the additional line and $10 premium data fee and insurance for the phone. Couldn't pass that up so got my daughter the iphone 6plus even though not an apple fan at all. We've been on the unlimited Everything Data Share plan since the beginning and LOVE IT.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones