1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Let's Get CM Onto Avant!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by crutchcorn, Jan 25, 2015.

1. crutchcorn

crutchcorn Android Expert

Hey guys! My name is crutchcorn. @codyedmonson has recently asked me to try to bring CM or any really type of rom to the device. While I cannot make promises, I can say that I will try my best.
    Not sure if this is something that has been found before but here is y'all's source code for the Avant. Great to Sammy for doing this.

(Normal T)
    MetroPCS Avant (the T1)
    http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=SM-G386T

Keep in mind that the codenames for these devices are as follows
    T-Mobile = SM-G386T
    MetroPCS = SM-G386T1

Also, just in case - the CPU source code from Qualcomm
    https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic/la/platform/vendor/qcom/msm8226/

Also, thanks to the great @j03lpr86, we now have I github where we are currently working on bringing CM to Avant.
    https://github.com/j03lpr86/android_device_samsung_afyonltetmo
    https://github.com/j03lpr86/android_vendor_samsung_afyonltetmo
    Keep in mind that they're both based off the Galaxy Grand 2 - with same CPU and specs as the Avant

Oh, and just as a note - it seems as if theSamsung Galaxy Core LTE is the same device.
    Codenames: sm-g386w/afyonltecan

#1 crutchcorn, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #517 by j03lpr86, Mar 11, 2015 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. codyedmonson

codyedmonson Android Enthusiast

@crutchcorn I was literally on my way to post this haha! And maybe... Just maybe someone('s) could pitch in and donate one of the two devices? I'm pretty sure if we got a ROM or cm port for one of the phones we could get it to the other easily. If that's something you are willing to do or something maybe @crutchcorn could possibly this one time accept a donation lol. I could see about donating a few bucks, I'm kinda strapped right now but I'll see what I can come up with. Just a heads up, the phone is $69 at metro and $90 with activation and all that, at T-Mobile its $149.76 so probably would be easier for the metro version IMO.

4. crutchcorn

Yesh man... I'm honestly not that smart... I mean, I'm going to work as hard as I can for the phone but I'm just a kid. At any rate, I'm downloading the source now and I'm hoping to start checking out AOSP when I can... Might be a bit slow (my internet speed... Just not all that)

5. codyedmonson

You might not be that smart, but from what I've seen you're a pretty intelligent person. I myself am just a kid (17 almost 18 ) and I for one cannot get the time and can't get my head around porting roms. You're pretty good at being a Dev and I think that you're work should be rewarded in some way other than a thanks button. Also, time is of no importance, when you get it done, you get it done. You can't rush someone who is taking time out of their day to help you on you're own little project lol.

6. crutchcorn

Dude, you're amazing... I still don't think you should, but it's your money I suppose. I'll honestly be putting a bit aside from my time to work on this. :) I'll keep you guys posted.

7. codyedmonson

I don't know about the rest of the people on here but if you provide a group of people a needed service you should get something in return. It might be a few days before I can get the money but I'll see what I can do!

8. crutchcorn

Eh. Experience is what I gain. :) If not though, you'll bet your buns I'll still be putting effort into this. :D

9. codyedmonson

Awesome! Thanks for the help even if you don't get anything going, I'm going to look into getting a runtime up so I can maybe help out porting or making my own ROM. Its been a while since I tried, I have to run it off a virtual box through my laptop so it'll be slow as hell -_-

10. crutchcorn

Of course! You might want to check out trying to use GRUB. I mean, it's honestly not that dangerous to your Windows install or what not. I could even help you use the most lightweight desktop envirtonments and such so you can do everything else much better. :) PM me if you'd want help with any of that

11. codyedmonson

I'll look into it, a multi bootloader would probably be the best thing so its not trying to run two operating systems at the same time.

12. crutchcorn

I hear you. Just lemme know if needed

13. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Android Expert

#12 Masterchief87, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  14. crutchcorn

And that's something I'm going to be looking into. :) There might be a difference between radios (if there is then I'm a monkey's uncle) but I'd agree. Either way, I'm syncing sources now and hoping that I can get a build out this week (I hate my 300kbps internet D:). (Even if hardware is different, I can still make one zip for both)

anthony_loa likes this.
  15. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Android Expert

Honestly I think the radios are the same too cause metropcs and tmobile use the same network. Also you can flash any firmware for either version of the avant and everything will work just fine.
    Some people have bought a metro avant for a discounted price then flashed the T-Mobile firmware onto it and some have been given a T-Mobile avant and flashed the metro firmware on it. In either case it worked just like it should.

16. crutchcorn

That's why I said if that's the case then I'm a monkey's uncle. :p Makes my job easier then. Hehe. Thanks for letting me know that

mussio likes this.
  17. crutchcorn

Just for an update - I messed up trying to sync AOSP 4.4.2_R2 as it kept asking me for keychains... Should have fixed that stuff and I am trying to sync again. Try to be patient with me as I am hindered by my horrid internet (and if that key chain issue shows again it stops downloading and IDK the issue...)

18. codyedmonson

No rush bro, take as much time as you need. Keep us updated though, that's greatly appreciated!

crutchcorn likes this.
  19. crutchcorn

Course! Always try to do so. :) I would leave a percentage of sync, but if you've synced source before you know that's not possible. [emoji14] But it didn't stop, so that's good news

20. crutchcorn

Update - Actually, there kinda is a way to tell how far I am, it's just hard to gauge. I have 15% of one part of the source code (although most likely the largest at 10.5GB) downloaded. :)

21. crutchcorn

Alright, I can hear the thoughts coming in "crutchcorn, your internet is not that slow is it? Why isn't there any word from you yet?" Simple answer? Google. I hate Google sometimes. Let me explain, in Ubuntu apparently there is an error with the security of the connection because it asks you for a password every few hours. Long story short, I didn't know this and it kept stopping the terminal. Syncing AGAIN (third time) and we'll see the outcome.

22. codyedmonson

Good luck and thanks for keeping us updated!

crutchcorn likes this.
  23. crutchcorn

The super bowl was nuts, AOSP synced. :)

#22 crutchcorn, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    codyedmonson likes this.
  24. codyedmonson

What all would the build include? Just stock android or what?

25. crutchcorn

No clue! :) I'm learning as you do. :p

codyedmonson likes this.
  26. crutchcorn

Finally making a build. Sorry it's taken so long. School + work + girlfriend. Kinda holds you back time wise. I'll let you know if it works out and have someone test

Masterchief87 likes this.
  27. j03lpr86

j03lpr86 Well-Known Member

new build fixed incoming calls can be picked up now.

Attached Files:

ThisPerson, Evier, rgkelley87 and 5 others like this.

Samsung Galaxy Avant Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Avant release date was July 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1.5GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 2100mAh battery.

July 2014
Release Date
Reviews