• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Ally Update Coming January 17th?

Thanks! Someone else was getting an update with the LG Mobile updater and told me the file size, but he didn't know for sure 'what' he was getting. So this way I can have some idea he is getting 2.2.

So far I have seen 3-4 people saying they have it in place. Any word from your other contact lines as far as how a root for it is progressing? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to leap until I know I have an avenue of retreat if I should for some reason want to do that.

What do you think of it so far? Someone asked if it has Apps2SD, and I said I thought it did. Was I right?

Yes, you are right.

Upvote 0
To the best of my knowledge, Froyo 2.2 includes Apps2SD, which allows you to move your apps to your SD card. I know it worked when my son got Froyo on his Droid X back in November, so I don't see why it would not work also on the Ally once Froyo becomes widely available for it. We have at least one member who now has Froyo 2.2.1 on his Ally, having gone after it with the LG Mobile Updater. So it IS coming. Eventually. But so far no OTA for it yet. There was a flurry of activity earlier this evening when he first reported getting it, and then it quieted down. I think those with the resources to do it are working on rooting it.

Moving apps to the SD card was the reason I went down the rooted path, speaking for myself. It is SOOOOO much nicer not to keep getting low memory warnings. :) But if you aren't into rooting the phone, then you should still see this ability when you finally get Froyo.

I have the X and Froyo did not come with apps2sd program. at least i dont see it on my phone?:thinking:

Upvote 0
I officially have the 2.2 update via the update tool, its the same size as reported but one thing I notice is the screen's a little bit more sensitive. Its also quite a bit faster, and apps2sd is PERFECT. So far, I don't need to root so I cannot help in getting it rooted.

so the verizon update comes with the app2sd installed? so can i move all future apps to my sd card when downloading to free up memory?:thinking:

Upvote 0
2.2 for Ally does have A2SD. You have to install it to your phone, than transfer it to the SD Card if the app supports A2SD, not all apps do.

It's actually a function of 2.2.1. You access it through Settings>Applications>Manage Applications.

If the app can be moved you will have the option after pressing the name. You also have the option of moving an app back.

It is not the same as the apps2sd script that Velocity (and others) use. Only selected apps can be moved. The apps in the market just simplify the process butt basically access the systems own settings.

I would advise not to use Titanium backups move to SD option. I have used it 2x and each time after a reboot the phone can't find your apps.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can you still force enable a2sd at a global level?

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/191916-a2sd-multi-roms-ally.html

I have this method running on my VZC with no issues, all apps and dalvik cache are on my sd.

EDIT: Also, has anyone successfully enabled flash on 2.2?

There is a way to have global level apps2sd using 2.2's apps2sd. You have to be rooted to acomplish that though.

1. There's an app on the market called "move2sd enabler" which afaik does what im about to post at the second method.

2. The manual way to enable it. [GUIDE]Full Apps2SD on 2.2 Froyo - xda-developers (i have no tested this but i assume it would work based on my googling.)

3. No flash for the ally. Processor isn't supported.

Reactions: odbo255
Upvote 0
There is a way to have global level apps2sd using 2.2's apps2sd. You have to be rooted to acomplish that though.

1. There's an app on the market called "move2sd enabler" which afaik does what im about to post at the second method.

2. The manual way to enable it. [GUIDE]Full Apps2SD on 2.2 Froyo - xda-developers (i have no tested this but i assume it would work based on my googling.)

3. No flash for the ally. Processor isn't supported.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

1. I don't see this app on the market (but I'm still on 2.1) - will it only show once I upgrade to 2.2?

2. Will this only move the apps, or will the dalvik cache also be on the sd?

3. Uber-weak. I guess this means I'll have to give up the Ally at some point in the future, this is a deal-breaker for me. I always assumed (wrongly) that flash support was coming with 2.2 - or at the least via a work-around.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

1. I don't see this app on the market (but I'm still on 2.1) - will it only show once I upgrade to 2.2?

2. Will this only move the apps, or will the dalvik cache also be on the sd?

3. Uber-weak. I guess this means I'll have to give up the Ally at some point in the future, this is a deal-breaker for me. I always assumed (wrongly) that flash support was coming with 2.2 - or at the least via a work-around.

1. Yes it is on market for me on 2.2. Move2SD Enabler (root only) - Android app on AppBrain

2. This only supports apps2sd. 2.2 does not have an option to move dalvik2sd built in.

Reactions: odbo255
Upvote 0
I have the X and Froyo did not come with apps2sd program. at least i dont see it on my phone?:thinking:

Sorry it took so long to get back but I had to get in contact with my son. He said there is no icon on the X for it, but got to settings/manage applications/ etc. And there should be 4 choices for like downloaded apps, etc. The 4th is Apps on SD card, and is the implementation of Apps2SD on Froyo for the Droid X.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones