• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG G2-AutoRec(TWRP on lollipop stock rooted)

bender_007

May 4, 2015
Croatia
Hello.

Haven't seen any thread about twrp on g2 lollipop so here it is, I hope it copes with the rules.

What it does:
-creates a backup of your bootloader, kernel, laf and recovery partition
-downgrades bootloader to kitkat bootloader so we can use bump(for bump refer to google)
-flashes bumped kernel, bumped TWRP 2.8.6.1(the version will change as soon there are updates) by blastagator
-it offers also restore (restores the previously backed up partitions)

Instructions:
-Although there is actually 1 (read: ONE) button, people repeatetly asked for how to, ok here it is:
1. install autorec from playstore (or in LS980-Sprint and d802TR-Turkey case from my androidfilehost stash)

2. Start the app, it will ask for root, grant root to the app

3. Wait for it to pop up a messagebox with the information that it's ok to proceed(the app is initially preparing the files)

4. tap on the upper lollipop image (the arrow also points to it)

5. wait until it says that it's done.

6. it's done..

Q/A:
-I'm not on stock rom, do I need/can I run AutoRec ?
* Why ? If you're not on stock you probably have TWRP.

-I've bought a d802 on ebay or aliexpress and/or it's refurbished, can I install this ?
* Don't install this..Your device isn't a d802, sorry..

-My device isn't on the supported list(or on playstore), what to do ?
*PM me. I WILL ask you for your assistance and we will create your version together.

-How do I enter TWRP ? When I try the hardware key mode it's on the white screen saying "Factory reset".
* Yes..It's normal. Hold volume down + power. Wait for the LG logo, release the keys literally for an eye blink and hold the 2 keys together again(keep holding). A white reset screen will appear and you have to accept twice. Vol Keys are for navigating and power confirms.

The other method is by using some reboot app like rebooter, quickboot or my reboot widget .
Third method is by enabling usb debugging, downloading ADB, open cmd or console and type: "adb reboot recovery"
Fourth is almost the same: download termina emulator from playstore, open up, type: "su", type: "reboot recovery"

-I can't see my TWRP folder...where is it ?
*Install terminal emulator from playstore and type: "su", then type: "restorecon -FR /data/media/0"
If it shows any error then either you didn't type "su" first or you typed it wrong :)
I will add a button to AutoRec for it so you don't have to type anything.

-I've got a fastboot error, what to do ?
*Either you flashed it on a refurbished device which is inside something different from what the model number reports or...something went wrong. PM me and I will provide an one click fix.

screenM_Hcsg220150403_221631.png Screenshot_2015-04-03-20-45-19_mdlg220150403_213545.png

Downloads:

-D800
-D801
-D802
-VS980
-LS980

THX:
cloudyfa
6ril1
jac10000
somboons

Feel free to post questions, suggestions, features or even donate.
If you are satisfied with the app and want to donate a dollar or two for further development, donations are welcome, appreciated but not mandatory.

Paypal: tr3x.jezgra@gmail.com

Thank you. I hope you like this thread and find it useful

Last edited:
First of all, thank you very much for the app, this is the second device I root and you made it very easy to install TWRP. I have a doubt, and forgive me because I'm very new to this.
The thing is I installed this TWRP version, and when I try to flash a custom ROM like cyanogenmod or Resurrection Remix this error:
E: error executing updater binary in zip error flashing zip
What can I do to fix this?
Congratulations this is a great app.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It can be that the device is refurbished. Quite a popular model. So they put d801 motherboard inside and imei stays the one from d802 or other models. I've also seen the imei matching some new not flagship model. So if inside is d801 motherboard you WILL brick your phone and call me or anyone else: "you bricked my phone" sadly I can't detect if your phone is really d802, only what build.prop says.
Your d802 seems legit. Try this
3845#*802# in dialer
If it enters it should be d802

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm running an LG G2 with sprint as my carrier. Model LS980. After using Autorec, creating a nandroid backup and trying to restore that nandroid backup, my phone will not bootup and all I get is a blank, black screen. When trying to enter download mode, I receive a fastboot error. Is there any way that you can help me get back to stock jellybean since I have lost functionality on the stock lollipop rom on my G2?

Upvote 0
After backing up I rebooted my phone into the normal stock OS to download a ROM that I had found. After I got past the LG logo, all I got was a black screen. I am trying to install Euphoria OS 1.1 since my stock OS has lost data functionality. After installing the ROM, I was then going to try LG Flash Tool in order to go back to JB 4.2.2 for my LG G2.

Upvote 0
I have flashed euphoria within the last 5 hours along with rom and bootstack, and I have regained all functionality. I absolutely love it! I guess, if I wanted to go back to the stock rom (which I don't), there would be no way to do that, right? When I tried to use LG Flash Tool on my PC, it would not even start the process after I plugged in my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones