• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 vs. Samsung Galaxy S5

Would you buy the LG G3 or the Samsung Galaxy S5?

• LG G3

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Samsung Galaxy S5

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

Lennatron

Android Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2010
PA
I'm buying a new phone and LOVE the G3's design and the Knock unlock feature but I don't see what features the G3 has over the S5 which has the IP67 rating, fingerprint scanner, ultra power saving mode, and downloads over both Wifi and 4G simultaneously. Am I overseeing some of the G3s big features?

I understand that the LG G3's screen is bigger and has a higher than 1080p resolution but according to reviews the Galaxy S5s screen actually looks better in real world usage.

Any advice or discussion about these devices would be greatly appreciated! As far as I know this is the first LG G3 Vs. Galaxy S5 thread on Android Forums!

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the S5. Now its a matter of color. I like the front of the phone in black because you don't notice the sensors as much but don't like the black back cover so I'm thinking of buying the black version but replacing the black cover with a white one :)

Upvote 0
I've got this decision to make soon and I'm totally torn. I have a Samsung GS3 now.

Requirements of my next phone are replaceable battery, external storage and root. That really makes these 2 phones the only contender.

Root is available on the GS5 now, but it could be tough after a future upgrade, who knows.

I know the learning curve will certainly be less with the GS5. Not sure about the weird back button on the G3. Also, am a bit worried G3 might be too big.

On the other hand my GS3 definitely carries a lot of bloat and does lag from time to time. Worried about having a similar experience with the GS5. Though the GS3 is the first phone that I haven't wanted to through against the wall as I neared time for an upgrade.

I don't know how I'm going to make up my mind.

Since this thread is in the GS5 forum, responses will likely be tilted that way.

Upvote 0
Any phone I choose must have a replaceable battery.

The GS5 allows you to turn OFF apps you don't want.

Any phone with KitKat will have the new rules about SD storage so forget that as a comparison.

The physical size of a phone is a personal decision. I have very large hands and the S5 is a one hand phone for me. The first 'S' phone was hard to use, too small.

All of the new crop have good cameras, the S5 has a very good camera.

lag is a personal experience, to me, the S5 does not have any lag in it. YMMV
Lag also depends on how many junk apps you load and try to have running at the same time. Social apps are horrible about keeping the phone busy and wasting power.

In the end, try to make it a decision that you won't have any regrets over.
I'm very happy with my S5.

Upvote 0
I happen to have both phones and after 6 days of using G3, I can say that S5 is better overall. I love the design, screen and display size of G3. I love the way it feels in my hand. It has better material.

However side by side, I can't tell the difference between 1080p vs 1440p. As a matter of fact I prefer the screen resolution of the S5. The latter is brighter with better contrast and angle view. S5 is the overall better performer. Funny thing is the G3 has 3000 ma battery but S5's 2800 ma battery lasts longer with heavy usage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones