• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [LINARO] AWEstruck v1.04 12/14/14 | [3.4.107] v1.05b6 5/30/15

Kernel seems solid after addressing the permissions issue. The 3G drop didn't happen to me. So good job. You have a good base to work from now. As previously mentioned I think a 1.5ghz OC would be more than enough plus it would play nice with most devices. I'd also mention looking at having it at default clock speed on initial boot as I think one of the guys mentioned defaulting was a problem.

Reactions: spock1104
Upvote 0
Is there any chance you could take a look at our existing kernel and see if you can add the stock clock speed on boot?
Of course so long as cdz is ok with this...

I think the code for that was pulled from the 8960, which has a default clock of 1.7GHz. Probably an unintended effect.

I plan on pulling from https://github.com/F4k/f4ktion_kernel

Upvote 0
I've got three questions...

1) Is it possible to add speed steps (overclocking) to the kernel myself from my phone?

2) Is it okay to do "dirty" flashes of boot images over each other, even if one is larger than the other?

3) ....I forget

1) No, sorry. This has to be done in the kernel source. With a long weekend coming up for me, keep a lookout for my next version ;)

2) my understanding is that the image gets replaced so yes, though major changes may require cache wipes

3) profit

Upvote 0
Quick update - Hit a snag with the galaxy s4 mini code, turns out that uses the msm8930ab. pretty sure we're using the original msm8930 even though the stock code has 8930aa included. Looking at pulling code form the HTC One SV and the Galaxy S3 now. I got an overclock to work but with the same problem of the default clock going all the way up. Time for more research, and I'll appreciate any input on how to address this.

*edit* I may have the answer from the One SV code... https://github.com/BrateloSlava/One...mmit/2ab37476b49ed5a1f332722a6130b713960dd33c

Upvote 0
The default frequencies get set in cpufreq.c which pulls from CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ_MIN and CONFIG_MSM_CPU_FREQ_MAX in the defconfig. If CPU-Z is to be believed, there's a bug in this though where it's only getting applied to one of the cores. The other is still running at max speed.

Upvote 0
Would init.d support help it?

I don't believe so, if I try changing the frequency through an app that change also only applies to the first core. That leads me to believe that this version of cpufreq doesn't fully support multiple cores. I'm going to try the nexus 4 cpufreq to see if that helps.

Reactions: edodson84
Upvote 0
I don't believe so, if I try changing the frequency through an app that change also only applies to the first core. That leads me to believe that this version of cpufreq doesn't fully support multiple cores. I'm going to try the nexus 4 cpufreq to see if that helps.

I use performance control in my rom it controls 2nd core. Unless ur using a different version of cpufreq than ur current kernel has??

Upvote 0
I use performance control in my rom it controls 2nd core. Unless ur using a different version of cpufreq than ur current kernel has??

I had been using No-Frills CPU control and IncrediControl. Switching to Trickster MOD did the trick.

I've proven that my cpufreq theory wasn't right, and after looking into it a bit more it might be that the ROM's mpdecision is overriding the defaults on boot. I'm installing kernel side mpdecision to see if that fixes it, but even if it doesn't it'll be a good feature to have. It'll allow more control of the kernel through Android Tuner.

Upvote 0
I had been using No-Frills CPU control and IncrediControl. Switching to Trickster MOD did the trick.

I've proven that my cpufreq theory wasn't right, and after looking into it a bit more it might be that the ROM's mpdecision is overriding the defaults on boot. I'm installing kernel side mpdecision to see if that fixes it, but even if it doesn't it'll be a good feature to have. It'll allow more control of the kernel through Android Tuner.

That explains my control of 2nd core as i removed mpdecision service start from qualcomm post boot script

Edit: i thought i should add the reason i did this was to default 2nd core online for better performance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones