• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

List your Apps

I don't get people's fascination with Pandora and other internet radios. No control over the music? Just start with one song and listen to similar songs the whole time?

I tried Pandora when it first came out and not one person I knew had a clue it existed. I wanna say it was 2005 or 2006. Now people love it. What happened to having it on an iPod?

Honestly I would love to have my own songs to go thru but I cant afford to be buying every song I like. I would much rather just hear a bunch of songs similar to what I like. It works for me. I hook my Eris up to my radio at work and rock away. Plug it in my car and do the same. No playlist to make ...just enjoy the ride.....or traffic...mostly traffic...

Upvote 0
Honestly I would love to have my own songs to go thru but I cant afford to be buying every song I like. I would much rather just hear a bunch of songs similar to what I like. It works for me. I hook my Eris up to my radio at work and rock away. Plug it in my car and do the same. No playlist to make ...just enjoy the ride.....or traffic...mostly traffic...

I thought of that and neither am I (rich enough to afford all the songs I want) and I don't mean to encourage it for everything, but you can turn to pirating and at least put them on your phone. There are fool-proof ways these days. Let me know if you need info. on that. It's as easy as simply going to Youtube. ;)

Upvote 0
My device works just fine. I keep all my apps closed out if not in use. Battery makes it thru half a day usually. Depends hows much I play.

Half a day of battery life is "fine" with you?

We all have different expectations and requirements, as exemplified by that. I would never want a phone that didn't last the full day (for me that's about 4:30 am to about 9pm most days).

Before I got the 1750 battery the 1300 stock battery did last that long, but was down to between 8 and 15% or so. Now I see between 35 and 60% on the Spare Parts report before turning it off and putting it on the charger.

Upvote 0
4x4le said: Task Cleaner Pro,1.3.6.2 beta (keeps things killed that other task killers like ATK dont see, this really speed up my eris! Freed up about 8MB of ram at any given time!) although there are things I still dont like about it I gave my feedback to the dev and he said he is going to change the very things I dont like about it on the next update!! So a good dev is behind this one.

Any reason you're not on version 2.0 that's in the Market?

I wasnt updated at that time. i also am taking to heart what people are telling me about task killers. i didnt use any for a whole day and after a few hours my phone seemed to have took a liking to it. I used to constantly kill apps thinking it was necessary and that probably does confuse the phone. I probably will not bother with them anymore.

side note: the dev did update it so apps dont die during calls.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
4x4le said: Task Cleaner Pro,1.3.6.2 beta (keeps things killed that other task killers like ATK dont see, this really speed up my eris! Freed up about 8MB of ram at any given time!) although there are things I still dont like about it I gave my feedback to the dev and he said he is going to change the very things I dont like about it on the next update!! So a good dev is behind this one.

Any reason you're not on version 2.0 that's in the Market?

the update on market is not 2.0 btw its 1.3.7.2 beta

Upvote 0
Half a day of battery life is "fine" with you?

We all have different expectations and requirements, as exemplified by that. I would never want a phone that didn't last the full day (for me that's about 4:30 am to about 9pm most days).

Before I got the 1750 battery the 1300 stock battery did last that long, but was down to between 8 and 15% or so. Now I see between 35 and 60% on the Spare Parts report before turning it off and putting it on the charger.

No...I wouldnt say I am fine...but used to it now. I would like to extend it. I may look into it as soon as I get this speaker thing fixed.

Upvote 0
My Marketplace downloads as they appear on Marketplace

Seesmic for Twitter
Bebbled
Abduction!
OpenSudoku
Dolphin Browser
Icon Pack - Android 2.0
Icon Pack - Sticker
BetterCut
AudioManager Widget
CalWidget
Unit Converter - ConvertPad
The Hangover Soundboard
Start Wars Sounds & Ringtones
Apps Organizer
Google Sky Map
Bloo - Facebook 1.4.3c Beta
Package Tracking
Gmail Unread Count
ASTRO File Manager
Movies
Barcode Scanner
Gang Wars Lite
Key Ring Reward Cards
Lockbot Free
MobisleNotes (Free)
Quick Settings
Spare Parts
Last.fm Personal Radio
Home Switcher
BatteryLife
SportsTap
RealCalc Scientific Calculator
Google Voice

Upvote 0
Well, Frisco peaked my interest in finding out if less is better. So I restored my phone to new and backup up all my apps through atrackdog. Then I installed only the ones I knew I used consistently. Here is the new list:

Exported by aTrackDog at 20:40:26 2010/02/14
aTrackDog,3.11
aTrackDog(SD),3.10
Barcode Scanner,3.1
Beautiful Widgets,2.85
Car Mode,1.2.0
Google Voice,0.3.0
iheartradio,2.2.2
Pandora,1.1.2
Screebl Lite,2.0.6
SMS Popup,1.0.7
SportsTap,2.3.8
Total 11 applications.

Result...A full day of battery. This includes playing around...surfing the web...and general messing around. So, the moral of the story. Less is better. Some may argue that you are not getting the most out of you Eris if you restrict yourself. Well now I am installing the apps from the SD card only when I need them and then removing them right away. General housecleaning rules. Now lets see if I can stick to it.....

Upvote 0

I thought of that and neither am I (rich enough to afford all the songs I want) and I don't mean to encourage it for everything, but you can turn to pirating and at least put them on your phone. There are fool-proof ways these days. Let me know if you need info. on that. It's as easy as simply going to Youtube. ;)

There's an app for that: Music Junk

Upvote 0
Well, Frisco peaked my interest in finding out if less is better. So I restored my phone to new and backup up all my apps through atrackdog. Then I installed only the ones I knew I used consistently. Here is the new list:

Exported by aTrackDog at 20:40:26 2010/02/14
aTrackDog,3.11
aTrackDog(SD),3.10
Barcode Scanner,3.1
Beautiful Widgets,2.85
Car Mode,1.2.0
Google Voice,0.3.0
iheartradio,2.2.2
Pandora,1.1.2
Screebl Lite,2.0.6
SMS Popup,1.0.7
SportsTap,2.3.8
Total 11 applications.

Result...A full day of battery......

Good job, Baldguy.

I admit to trying apps here and there; I'll read about something in the Eris forums, or just see something interesting looking in the Market app, and then try it out.

They always end up in the Great Byte Bucket in the Sky.

I know it is not popular to say so here, but the supplied applications in the Eris cover all my needs. Having said that, it is noteworthy that one of those supplied applications is Market, wherein many, many more are available; they anticipate Eris users wanting/needing more.

Upvote 0
I don't get people's fascination with Pandora and other internet radios. No control over the music? Just start with one song and listen to similar songs the whole time?

I tried Pandora when it first came out and not one person I knew had a clue it existed. I wanna say it was 2005 or 2006. Now people love it. What happened to having it on an iPod?

For me, it's a mood / situational thing. For those of us old enough to remember days before MP3 <-> auto integration, I'd compare listening to an iPod to listening to a tape or CD ... you have the music, you play the music, you get exactly what you're expecting. But even 20 years ago I listened to the radio, too. Many of the bands I listen to now I first heard on one radio program or another. My biggest complaint about the radio is that most of the time was spent on things other than the music.

Enter Pandora ... it is NOT like listening to an iPod ... it's much more the radio experience. It's NOT predictable, and you don't know what's coming next and you don't get to rewind. It also doesn't broadcast ads (they show up on your phone screen ... fine ... easy to ignore) and doesn't interrupt you for some stupid DJ trick that you don't really care to hear.

I used to be a die-hard tape/CD listener. But now I have a 90 minute commute each way, every day, and I'm finding I like to be surprised with a little something different occasionally. I like to hear from an artist I've never heard from before, or a new song from an album I missed coming out. And I appreciate doing it without broadcast commercials and insipid DJ's.

And for the days I don't want that ... I can still play my MP3's!

Upvote 0
For me, it's a mood / situational thing. For those of us old enough to remember days before MP3 <-> auto integration, I'd compare listening to an iPod to listening to a tape or CD ... you have the music, you play the music, you get exactly what you're expecting. But even 20 years ago I listened to the radio, too. Many of the bands I listen to now I first heard on one radio program or another. My biggest complaint about the radio is that most of the time was spent on things other than the music.

Enter Pandora ... it is NOT like listening to an iPod ... it's much more the radio experience. It's NOT predictable, and you don't know what's coming next and you don't get to rewind. It also doesn't broadcast ads (they show up on your phone screen ... fine ... easy to ignore) and doesn't interrupt you for some stupid DJ trick that you don't really care to hear.

I used to be a die-hard tape/CD listener. But now I have a 90 minute commute each way, every day, and I'm finding I like to be surprised with a little something different occasionally. I like to hear from an artist I've never heard from before, or a new song from an album I missed coming out. And I appreciate doing it without broadcast commercials and insipid DJ's.

And for the days I don't want that ... I can still play my MP3's!

+1

I love the fact that I can set up stations based on the artists I like and listen to a bunch of stuff from that artist as well as bands I have never heard of before. A good example of this for me is Lacuna Coil. I love one of their songs that was on Guitar Hero (I'm addicted to Guitar Hero on the Wii) and I added a station for them on Pandora. I have heard at least 12 new artists that I would never have known about before because of this. On top of that, my musical taste is very eclectic. I listen to hard rock and metal (Metallica, Korn, Linkin Park, ect), but I also like pop (Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, etc), Jazz (Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, etc) and classical (Bach, Wagner, Mozart, etc). With Pandora I can listen to any one selected category and enjoy the music there or I can play a quick mix and enjoy a little of everything. Plus, for music that I will only listen to on occasion, I don't have have the MP3s on my phone or mp3 player.

Upvote 0
New apps I added as of Friday:

White Noise Lite (if you sleep better with background noise, this is THE app to have. I would not have been able to make it through last weekend without it)
Key Ring Reward Cards (finally able to clean my wallet of all those stupid discount cards)
Places Directory (great directory of just about everything. IDK if there are better apps out there for this, but this one worked really well for me)
Backgrounds (just playing with it for right now)
AudioManager widget (noticed it on thetomlin's list....great app)

Upvote 0
New apps I added as of Friday:

White Noise Lite (if you sleep better with background noise, this is THE app to have. I would not have been able to make it through last weekend without it)
Key Ring Reward Cards (finally able to clean my wallet of all those stupid discount cards)
Places Directory (great directory of just about everything. IDK if there are better apps out there for this, but this one worked really well for me)
Backgrounds (just playing with it for right now)
AudioManager widget (noticed it on thetomlin's list....great app)

I like the Places Directory. Nice find. However, I'm noticing that it continues to use GPS even when I back out of the app? Have you experienced this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones