• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

locale update settings

I could no longer deal with leaving the GPS on constatly. I leave "Use Wireless Networks" and "Location Settings" enabled in the Location section of my Settings. Locale could not seem to disable my wifi when I left home.

Is enabling the GPS feature crucial for Locale? That seems counter productive to what I'm trying to do by saving batter by having it turn off wifi.

Upvote 0
No. Unlike Locale, Setting Profiles does not use precise GPS positioning. Rather SP can determine your location from Google My Location Api, cell tower ids, and/or visibility of a specific WiFi network (you do not actually have to be logged in).

Depending on the density of the cell towers, the Google My Location and cell tower ids can be pretty darn accurate for a non-GPS service. WiFi networks are usually very small and for the right application (e.g. work place) can be extremely reliable.

SP can control GPS (i.e. turn it on/off as part of a profile) but does not use battery draining GPS like Locale does.

Reactions: davecor
Upvote 0
I've experimented with Settings Profile Lite with intent to buy, but apparently I'm not doing something right. I set up a Home profile (did some research and made sure the stars are "lit" yellow) with wifi active and bluetooth off and screen low, defined Home location by coordinates (since wifi won't be on initially), and defined an action to use the Home profile when at the location Home. I've then set the phone at work manually with bluetooth on and screen at maximum, confirmed the Settings Profile app is active, and driven home. It does not adjust the phone setting to the Home profile. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have a Motodroid. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones