• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Location affected by external source?

HI

I'm currently in Maine but, quite frequently, my phone is reporting that I'm in Harbor Hills, OH!

Having talked to me neighbor (I'm camping) Harbor Hills is where he lives. This seems like way too much of a coincidence!

Is there anything he has that could affect my location?

I'm on AT&T, on my WiFi (cellular thru AT&T)

Any ideas?

Your phone's Location relies on one or more things -- GPS, local cellular towers, and your current IP address. GPS is based on satellites and is pretty accurate, triangulation with local cell towers is also pretty accurate, and then there are IP addresses, which are more regional than specific as far as location. It sounds like perhaps your phone is just 'stuck' in an incorrect locale for whatever reason. Try enabling Airplane Mode, restart your phone, and then disable Airplane Mode to see if your phone will reset its location correctly.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
It says this when we're in the campground next to our neighbor, it affects google maps and other apps like my weather widget.
Yes on Wifi - our hotspot

Yeh, WiFi location may not be accurate at all. I've seen it thousands of km off, and had me on a different continent to where I actually was. If you can, use GPS it's much more accurate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones