• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop auto-brightness less pleasing

camphill

Jul 9, 2010
Verizon S5 updated to Lollipop yesterday. So far I like it, or don't mind most of it.

One thing I really do not like is the functionality of auto-brightness. On KitKat I really liked how well it worked. It always seemed to be at the perfect brightness.

Now on Lollipop it is always way too dim, to the point I've turned off auto and manually set the brightness which completely defeats any battery saving efforts.

Anyone else notice this?

Verizon S5 updated to Lollipop yesterday. So far I like it, or don't mind most of it.

One thing I really do not like is the functionality of auto-brightness. On KitKat I really liked how well it worked. It always seemed to be at the perfect brightness.

Now on Lollipop it is always way too dim, to the point I've turned off auto and manually set the brightness which completely defeats any battery saving efforts.

Anyone else notice this?

Agree totally. Auto brightness is way too dim most of the time. One of the many annoying little things I don't like in Lollipop. Also Smart Stay doesn't work if you are wearing spectacles, which means that combined with the auto brightness problem, most of the time I have a screen that is too dim and keeps switching off ;)

Upvote 0

Anyone else notice this?
Yes, same behavior.

Upvote 0
Auto brightness is removed in Lollipop and replaced with adaptive brightness.

When on, it's supposed to only adjust just so far around your preset level for low, medium, or bright.

Not sure how Samsung implemented this.

Samsung, on their stock Lollipop firmware, have implemented both Adaptive brightness, (Settings > Display > Screen Mode), and Auto Brightness in the Notification bar. You just need to choose what settings suits you best. See screenshots...

(See also, pages 168 and 169 of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Users Manual)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems that it is handled differently on the verizon version. I have the different settings shown in your screensshot however they don't seem to effect the brightness only the shade of colors.

Also it looks like you can adjust the slider while auto is checked. Which is how I understand the adaptive brightness works. However no matter what setting I have it on, the moment I touch the slider, auto is unchecked.

Can anyone else confirm this? I hope I'm just a moron and am missing something but that doesn't seem to be the case. Lol

Upvote 0
Yes, touch the slider and it unchecks the box. but it does control the relative brightness level that you want it to stay at when the box is checked.

I run mine at about 20% and auto is checked.... except in the summer when I work outside, then I put it on 100% and leave it checked on auto. That way I can see my GPS maps in bright sun, and not be blinded when I go into the office.
I refuse to install LolliFLOP
Data and WiFi have been permanently turned OFF until VZW fixes this mess.

Upvote 0
I have actually tried that and it doesn't seem to have any effect whether cranked all the way up or all the way down, either way it's dimmer than I would like once I check auto. It appears to be exactly the same either way. Maybe it's because your still on 4.4.4? I don't know because I never had a problem before the update.

I did want to mention the battery usage actually seems to be normal. I think it may have seemed like it was using more because the battery monitor had to recalibrate itself after the update.

Upvote 0
None of these settings fix the problem when adjusted. Furthermore I notice a lag/delay when pulling the phone away from my ear when trying to end a call. It seems to be a problem with the proximity sensor. I wonder if there's not an issue with the sensors (proximity &amp; ambient light) in this update.<br/>

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
None of these settings fix the problem when adjusted. Furthermore I notice a lag/delay when pulling the phone away from my ear when trying to end a call. It seems to be a problem with the proximity sensor. I wonder if there's not an issue with the sensors (proximity &amp; ambient light) in this update.
Not sure if this would be helpful - but anyone capable of going between versions, perhaps with root, could try to test that idea - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dicotomica.sensortester

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
No way for me to check that (non-root). I'm also noticing some general lag when switching between apps and when trying to use phone.

Not something we like to do, but I am now "getting a sense" from all of the Lollipop problem posts that doing a Factory Reset and letting the phone come back up under 5.0 seems to be fixing a huge amount of the problems.

Have you resorted to do this yet?

I have also got a "feel that" clearing the cache Partition first, then a Factory Reset to 4.4.4, then do the 5.0 install results in more phones working properly the first time.

Upvote 0
Not something we like to do, but I am now "getting a sense" from all of the Lollipop problem posts that doing a Factory Reset and letting the phone come back up under 5.0 seems to be fixing a huge amount of the problems.

Have you resorted to do this yet?

I have also got a "feel that" clearing the cache Partition first, then a Factory Reset to 4.4.4, then do the 5.0 install results in more phones working properly the first time.
If true, then that may point to something weird in the factory data reset - it ought to clear cache as well.

On the subject of the factory data reset -

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6869912

HTC thread but it's all the same.

A number of us were hoping that Lollipop would get us all out of it due to the runtime change but evidently it didn't work out that way.

I hope I don't seem off topic - from my screen, looks like the brightness problem varies by user.

Very common situation with major updates.

Typically that means that the old stuff and the new got tangled rather than the update itself being wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The "old stuff" tangling with the "new stuff" is exactly why when I reach the point of "have to do it", that I will be doing as I said in my previous post.

That is not unlike MS Windows when you try to do an upgrade from oldWinX to newWinX. Sometimes it was successful, and all too many times it is not. I have tried for my clients to do it the "most expedient way" to save their data and file structure format.... then it don't work.

I just fussed to myself, saved off all of their data to my USB drive, then did a brand new install direct from a new licensed CDROM or a folder off my USB Drive if they could provide me with a legal license number. (faster)

Then I just groused at myself, shud an dun it that way the fust time.... argh!

so, that is why I am going to go with a totally clean slate to the 5.0 install.

Hopefully, even the Verizon install for me will come up clean. It just won't be this week or this month. I'm still too nervous about it.

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to go ahead and try a factory reset tomorrow since I've been having other issues (wifi repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting, laggggg, keyboard issues) . I recently moved some apps to my sd card, how does that work with a factory reset? I've got my pictures and text messages backuped, anything else?

Any way to backup the save file from "Knights of the old Republic"?

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to go ahead and try a factory reset tomorrow since I've been having other issues (wifi repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting, laggggg, keyboard issues) . I recently moved some apps to my sd card, how does that work with a factory reset? I've got my pictures and text messages backuped, anything else?

Any way to backup the save file from "Knights of the old Republic"?
Try Helium Backup.

Copy and paste *everything* you can from your internal storage and sd card with your pc just to be safe.

It's going to take a while but good things take time ok.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
I came across this in another thread and it fixed all of the issues I've been having since the update, at least so far, except for the dimness of course. I just switched off the "smart network switch" under the wifi settings. My wifi had been cycling rapidly apparently causing the battery drain, laggggg, and keyboard issues.

I just came across this about thirty minutes ago so we'll see how it goes but for now at least, no factory reset. ;)

Hopefully it'll work for some of the others having issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones