• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for advice (Nex5 v Note3)

nathanotis

Android Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2009
Denver, CO
These are the phones I'm considering in the next few months. I currently have a totally sourcerixed Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S4g before that. I love a Nexus like it's my sister, but I also am a fan of a HUGE screen... I'd like to hear the thoughts and opinions of the forum to help me decide.

Nexus 5.
I'm looking at Googles new flagship for obvious reasons... PURE android experience, easy to work on and the supposed hardware specs look great.

Note3.
This phablet has my attention for certain other obvious reasons... Screen, screen, SCREEN! Bigger is better as far as I'm concerned and the processor and other specs look strong, too.

I know the Note3 will be harder to work get ROMs on, but I know the N2 has a huge following on XDA and is well supported, it's fair to assume the N3 will, also... so I'm not terribly concerned. The Nx5, on the other hand, just begs to have custom software loaded on... Points to Google.

I have loved a button-free experience (soft AND hard) on the Nexus phones for a couple generations. I hate wasted screen (I use Pie and hide the nav bar). The Note, like all recent Sammy devices, has a big, ugly (imo) hardware button at the bottom, but it's sporting a WAY bigger screen... will that compensate? Points to Google?

The software on N3 utilizes that S-Pen, and reviews say it's more than a gimmick. Custom ROMs, however, will likely render it useless as anything beyond a mere stylus.

My statements above seems to steer me toward the Nexus, but I'm still swayed by pure acreage!. The size of the N3 is a big (pardon) factor for me...

Sound off! Let me know what you think. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks!

I'm biased towards anything related to the Note series. :p

I love my Note 2 and Note 10.1. Will have to see how the Note 3 will be like and if we'll see similar software updates for the Note 2. Don't know why they stuck with a physical home button rather than making it capacitive like the other buttons. It would make it more aesthetically pleasing to me. They did that with the original Note i717 (with 4 capacitive buttons on the bottom); not sure why they decided not to keep it and stick with a physical home button.

The S Pen will be the only thing that sets it apart from other competitors. In truth, the S Pen has matured a lot over each generation of Note. When it was first introduced it was more of a gimmick and had some bad experience as it wasn't as smooth to work with. It is much better now and I like working with it. Though I really hate the design of the OEM S Pens as they can be quite painful over a stretch of time. I had to get the S Pen holder, then the S Pen with eraser. They are much more better and natural to work with.

The Note 3 really isn't going to be a good dedicated note taking device. I would defer to its 'bigger' siblings (8.0 or 10.1) for that. It's going to be more useful as a little note/memo pad. Good for small doodles and sketches too. But nothing more.

Dependent on what you plan on doing with it, either device would be good. The Note 3 will be about the same size as the Note 2. So if you're okay with handling the size of the Note 2, you will be okay with the Note 3. If you don't plan on using the S Pen or no need for it, the Nexus would probably be a better value.

But then again, screen size, removable battery and external card support could be the factor in deciding to go with the Note 3 regardless of the S Pen.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... got to love that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: nathanotis
Upvote 0
Is price a factor for you?

If not, I would consider getting the Note. However, without the Nexus 5's specs released yet, I'm not 100% confident in providing you with that suggestion.

Price is not a huge factor for me, everyone has a plan where you pay additional monthly for your device, which makes it easier to pick up something shiny.

I'm leaning towards the Note at this point... If anyone can ring in on custom ROMs and their effect on the s-pen, I'd appreciate it. (I suppose I could go to the note forums and investigate on my own, too...)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones