• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for tablet for wife

Hey everyone. I am looking for a tablet for my wife.

Primary use will be ebook reader

Other uses will be
Checking facebook, email, google calanders, Photo viewer.

Maybe a video every once in a while.

Our budget is under 300$

Honestly she wants an ebook reader but we cannot justify spending 200 dollars on something that will just read books. We have looked at the archos 7 home tablet and she likes that.
However I figured I would ask you all for opinions.

Weazol,

I have to say, there are so many options for your budget, but excluding Archos 7. After several days you will find 7" useless, especially for eBook reading.

The first option is Archos 101, 10" screen is AWESOME, alike A4 size. Some online sellers sell it under $300, so if you have some interest, that is a chance.

The second option is iPad clones. Chinese manufacturers are rolling out several "high-end" iPad clones recently. The screen ranges from 8" to 10.2" with resolution 800x600 (8") / 1024x600(10.2"). Some models come with Android 2.2 system and Cortex A8 processor that is decent configuration for eBook reading, Internet surfing and multi-media consuming. There are two typical models around $200 below:

10.2" Android 2.1 Tablet - 1GHz Telechips 8900 Processor - 256MB DDR2

8" Android 2.2 Tablet - 1GHz Cortex A8 Processor - 512MB DDR2

If you want higher resolution 1024x768 pixels for a 10" screen, then you have to hold your pennies for some days. I heard one or two models with such a resolution would be released this November.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones