• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

lost text messages

bh8690

Nov 18, 2009
DROID spontaneously lost all my MMS/SMS messages....evidently this is a known bug (as far as users go)...Verizon nor Google acknowledge this issue.

No way to predict when the bug will strike...no way to prevent and no way to retrieve the messages.

This is BS!

I frankly don't understand the reasoning behind saving text messages, but to each his/her own. If it is something that is that important to you, you should be proactive, as opposed to reactive. Buying an app that saves text messages sure would save you a whole lot of anxiety, wouldn't it?

Just throwing out a suggestion...

Please be proactive and do not just get an app and sit back and say ohh life solved, no. Please search this forum and find where the google bug page is and star the issue and then comment it saying this is not acceptable.

Getting a 3rd party app does not solve known bugs.

Upvote 0
Please be proactive and do not just get an app and sit back and say ohh life solved, no. Please search this forum and find where the google bug page is and star the issue and then comment it saying this is not acceptable.

Getting a 3rd party app does not solve known bugs.

Umm ... you might want to offer a link if that's you're suggestion. Most people aren't going to have a clue what you are referring to.

Go to this site to search and/or report what you feel is a bug with the DROID's operating system or a native app.

There aren't a whole lot of reports about this random text deleting issue. It seems during some of those report threads, and even in threads here, some people have "Delete old messages" checked under settings ... or they give themselves a low limit. In other words, user error.

Having said all that ... backup, backup, backup. I don't see how anyone can argue with that logic. It's YOUR data, nobody else's. ;)

Upvote 0
Umm ... you might want to offer a link if that's you're suggestion. Most people aren't going to have a clue what you are referring to.

Go to this site to search and/or report what you feel is a bug with the DROID's operating system or a native app.

There aren't a whole lot of reports about this random text deleting issue. It seems during some of those report threads, and even in threads here, some people have "Delete old messages" checked under settings ... or they give themselves a low limit. In other words, user error.

Having said all that ... backup, backup, backup. I don't see how anyone can argue with that logic. It's YOUR data, nobody else's. ;)
It's right here sorry :)

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5669

Automatically saving texts and being able to view texts from say 6 months ago when you first started talking to a new girl, or the once a week jokes you get from that one good friend, and to be able to scroll through them from, last year, thats cool!

My friend has her iPhone and every text we have said to eachother, and that's so cool and I am so envious! It's just a bug that needs to get fixed and it's past due Joe that's all.

Upvote 0
I have had my Droid only 10 days. Needed it because it was capable of saving many incriminating Text messages sent by a psycho ex wife. Tonight, TWICE in the middle of typing a text with the qwerty key board all Text messages were lost! Dissapeared. It did a force close one time before it happened. The first time there were several hundred texts on the phone. The second time it had just a couple dozen! Any Clue to how I can prevent this from happening again?

Upvote 0
I have had my Droid only 10 days. Needed it because it was capable of saving many incriminating Text messages sent by a psycho ex wife. Tonight, TWICE in the middle of typing a text with the qwerty key board all Text messages were lost! Dissapeared. It did a force close one time before it happened. The first time there were several hundred texts on the phone. The second time it had just a couple dozen! Any Clue to how I can prevent this from happening again?

I can't remember the name right now, but there is an app that will allow you to back up your text messages. When I find it again, I will post it here.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am using this one SMS Backup for Android - Tools
It backs up to Gmail. Seems to work quite well so far. I don't really have anything of dire importance but back them up anyway. If you need to save them forever and ever then a b/u to a card is the way to go. Gmail needs an easy b/u to card/hd tool, now that I think about this...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones