• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost whatsapp chat

Hi, got a new phone both android, transferred everything over but hadn't backed up whatsapp. So lost all my chats and media apart from groups, anyway to get it back...it would mean a lot to me
If I put my sim in old phone and try to access what's app, it asks for my name and goes to 'initialising' then says can't connect. I've uninstall and all that but still no joy....please help

WhatsApp performs automatic backups to your phone's storage (unless you tell it not to), with an option to back up to Google Drive with a frequency you can set. So a key question is what were your backup settings on your old device?

Your WhatsApp data should be in a folder in the internal storage of your old phone. Look for a folder in the internal storage called WhatsApp, or else for Android/media/com/whatsapp/WhatsApp. Everything will be in there: Backups, Databases and Media are the most important subfolders, but I'd copy everything to somewhere safe. Then you can try copying those things to the same locations on your new phone (but remember that that will overwrite what is on the phone currently - feel free to back that up first!). My guess is that if you replace those folders on your new phone with those from your old one you will be back where you were (minus any new messages in the meanwhile), but there are probably guides on the web that will give more detail on the procedure (it's the sort of thing I'd work out in detail if I had to do it, but haven't had to so far. It's also why I'd made sure I had backups of everything first).

No idea why your old phone can't connect though. I've swapped between old and new devices before and reactivated WhatsApp on old phones. Does your old phone connect to the internet at all?

Upvote 0
Thanks Hadron, unknown to me my settings were not to back up whatsapp.
If I now put my sim into my old phone the only messages that show are groups and anything that's come through since the new phone set up, so essentially both phone now look the same in whatsapp. I've gone into whatsapp storage on the old phone but can't see any tab that is a restore. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but this hasn't made a difference? So now I'm really stuck ☹

Upvote 0
I have thought about how to help to return all information. Remember how I had the same problem with the hipaa compliant video conferencing(seecure.com) after changing a phone. And surprisingly was a good idea to apply for the support service or customer service. So it's, and my advice to you, at least one reason to call them, and in about 10 min you have all data restored. And if an issue is in something else, it'll be easier to know it. Reply to me if you have progressed with your problem, and I'll try to help if not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones