• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lousy coverage w/ HTC Eris

Rate your level of satisfaction with coverage on your Eris

• Total voters

jmw3025

Mar 30, 2010
In all respects but one, I love my new HTC Eris. Problem is poor coverage. I can be standing next to someone with a different Verizon phone & he can have 3 bars while I have zero or 1. I've been various places that should have great service (e.g. downtown Oakland or Berkeley) and have no coverage. At home, my wife's "plain Jane" Samsung has better service than my "smart" Eris! Anybody have any tips, suggestions, comments? Or do I just need to get a different phone?

Any idea, then, why mine sucks?

We see so many varying reports in here pointing out how terrible some hardware or software aspect of the Eris is, then how wonderful that same aspect of it is from another user's experience, that I am beginning to really question the quality control at the factories where they're made.

Upvote 0
I've had two different Eris phones (both brand new out of the box) BOTH have been really crappy at holding on to a signal. I've stated before that I've had fewer than 10 dropped calls in the previous 5 years with Verizon. Since I've had my eris I've had atleast 50. I still love it tho! :D ;)

Wow really I haven't had one dropped call on my eris that I can remember , but I maybe get 1-2 dropped calls a year with Verizon and about the same with my Sprint phone

Upvote 0
Any idea, then, why mine sucks?

I wish I knew. Years ago, my husband and I had the Kyocera SE45 slider and his got a great signal in our house but mine got a great signal everywhere BUT our house. When the counterfeit battery drama happened, I dumped that phone and got a Samsung Glyde.

Sometimes, you just get a stinker. If you're within your 30 days, you might want to see what they can do for you.

Upvote 0
I only get a relatively bad signal on 3G in my house. Anywhere from 1 bar to 0 depending on which window I'm holding it out of. Which is no big deal because I have wifi at home, so 3G isn't that important (and yes, under network status, mine currently reads -96 dBm, and that's after a fresh *228 option 2). However, when it switches to 1x for calls, I get a great signal. Almost full bars. I'm not really sure why there is such a HUGE difference, but it's no big deal to me.

Upvote 0
When I'm at home, my phone usually shows one to two bars. Right now I have two. But my signal strength is dancing between -84 and -92 dBm. When I talk to my wife, I can hear every word she says perfectly fine. But she says I cut out about 40 % of the time. Does this happen to anyone else? I have never had this problem with any other phone. Its driving me banana sandwhich ....Again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones